We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Longford

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Parking in Longford

Parking, finding parking, rushing off mid sentence for fear of the wrath of the omnipresent warden, avoiding having to do any shopping in the town altogether. These are some of the things that are plaguing Longford and it's small businesses to the point of extinction.

Small shops, cafes and businesses are closing in droves leaving behind empty forlorn facades of a once busy commercial center in the midlands. Now the picture is a grim one.

And why exactly do the people of Longford and visitors to the town have to pay for parking at all? Who is making the terrible planning decisions and setting such destructive policies?

9 replies to this topic
Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Parking in Longford

Hell of a first post!! lol! Is there not parking in the Square and in the Shopping Centre Car Park ( both just off the main street)??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Parking in Longford

Sure, you can park anywhere. But you have to pay quite a lot for it. People are choosing to do their shopping in the larger supermarkets outside of the town and eschewing trips into the town for the paper and a loaf of bread.

Gone are the days when you would go to town for the afternoon, run into someone and have a chat over a coffee or wander into one of the local shops for a browse.

Now a trip into town for most people involves complicated parking analytics & debate, inevitable culling decisions - sure I'll do that another day... & Where should I park & how fast can I get in and out.

There is parking in the Square, yes. There is parking in the shopping centre, yes. And you pay for both steeply by the hour.

Recently the town's powers that be, in something of an ineffectual effort to correct the damage done are allowing one half hour of free parking. It's too little too late, I'm afraid. If you don't believe me you should take a walk down the lower half of main street where almost every store front sits in sad abandonment. It's fair to say that not all of the towns economic troubles can be blamed on a ruinous parking policy, but it has no doubt played a part.

Longford, Ireland
1 post
3. Re: Parking in Longford

I don't shop in longford anymore. Having to pay for parking at Aldi is nuts..........Mullingar is far better town to park and shop. Will not return to longford to shop unless they abolish paid parking. Longford is not Dublin or Cork.........cop on..

County Cavan...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
4. Re: Parking in Longford

Why would u park in Longford , nothing there to see. It is grim . Visited today as at a loose end for a few hours . Twenty minutes and I was back in the car and heading on my way . Only good thing , it wasn’t raining

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Parking in Longford

What’s with all the new accounts moaning about parking in Longford?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
226 reviews
6. Re: Parking in Longford

Must be a rival chamber of commerce lol.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Longford!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Parking in Longford

How bizarre.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,083 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Parking in Longford

people pay for parking because it is the norm in ireland , especially in small towns and villages where space is at a premium!

if you dont like it, go elsewhere, (to find the same), or just be prepared to spend a euro or two!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
290 reviews
9. Re: Parking in Longford

Been many times to Longford, add in traveling through by train / bus and driving as Longford is a main link to the West of Ireland, (including the diversion around the town). The history of the town and surrounding area is fascinating, (Abbey ruins from the 13 Century), there are many old buildings and narrow streets, Mel's Cathedral with Harry Clarke Windows, (all restored after a fire in 2009 and re- opened 2014). There are wonderful eateries in town, and yes, parking is at a premium, yet so worth it.

Reply to: Parking in Longford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longford