We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Longford

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Longford

Parking, finding parking, rushing off mid sentence for fear of the wrath of the omnipresent warden, avoiding having to do any shopping in the town altogether. These are some of the things that are plaguing Longford and it's small businesses to the point of extinction.

Small shops, cafes and businesses are closing in droves leaving behind empty forlorn facades of a once busy commercial center in the midlands. Now the picture is a grim one.

And why exactly do the people of Longford and visitors to the town have to pay for parking at all? Who is making the terrible planning decisions and setting such destructive policies?

2 replies to this topic
Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Longford

Hell of a first post!! lol! Is there not parking in the Square and in the Shopping Centre Car Park ( both just off the main street)??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Longford

Sure, you can park anywhere. But you have to pay quite a lot for it. People are choosing to do their shopping in the larger supermarkets outside of the town and eschewing trips into the town for the paper and a loaf of bread.

Gone are the days when you would go to town for the afternoon, run into someone and have a chat over a coffee or wander into one of the local shops for a browse.

Now a trip into town for most people involves complicated parking analytics & debate, inevitable culling decisions - sure I'll do that another day... & Where should I park & how fast can I get in and out.

There is parking in the Square, yes. There is parking in the shopping centre, yes. And you pay for both steeply by the hour.

Recently the town's powers that be, in something of an ineffectual effort to correct the damage done are allowing one half hour of free parking. It's too little too late, I'm afraid. If you don't believe me you should take a walk down the lower half of main street where almost every store front sits in sad abandonment. It's fair to say that not all of the towns economic troubles can be blamed on a ruinous parking policy, but it has no doubt played a part.

Reply to: Parking in Longford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longford