We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Longford

Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
31 reviews
where to stay in Longford

I have had a look round. I want to stay for one in the town. it looks like there is only accomodation about 1k outside & my aunt is elderly and I have no transport available. any suggestions.

7 replies to this topic
Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: where to stay in Longford

http://www.longfordarms.ie/

This hotel is in the centre of the town.

Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: where to stay in Longford

it has very bad reviews. the other places wher 1k out from town. thanks for your help

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
3. Re: where to stay in Longford

Wow, so it has. Its been years since I was there. I had another place in mind called PV's on the main street but I think that has closed. I have a pal living near there. I'll give him a ring and see what he recommends.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: where to stay in Longford

Those reviews are, as my Illawarra friends would say, pretty crook. However, Longford is a small town and 1km could just mean the distance from the main street. I used to know the town well but have not been there for several years. This B&B says it is in town. http://www.mbcoy.ie/. Maybe a quick email to them might specify how close or otherwise it is from the action for your aunt!!! :)

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: where to stay in Longford

Contacted my pal. He said the Longford Arms lol! He said he hadn't a clue as he lives there and therefore wouldn't need to stay over in any place other than his own home! Useless!! :-)))

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
6. Re: where to stay in Longford

I was in the Arms the day Charlie started the comeback.

Not sure the town has fully recovered.

1 post
7. Re: where to stay in Longford

In 2015, family members and myself stayed at Viewmount House for several days. It's a wonderful place, the rooms were cozy, clean and spacious. There's a short walking path on the grounds and a beautiful Asian style garden.to sit in and enjoy. Best of all the food is wonderful. I highly recommend including daily breakfast with your room. It's an extensive choice of oatmeal, cold cereal, eggs, bacon, sausages, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, jellies, juice, tea, coffee etc. You are not limited to either eggs or cereal but can have it all if you want. Very filling & tasty, I'd give the rooms here 4 stars and the food 5 stars, not just the breakfasts but the dinners too were wonderful.

This gem is expensive but it's only about 10 - 15 min. by car to St. Mel's Cathedral and maybe another 5 - 8 min to the train station. The bus stop in town is maybe 20 mins. or less by car so a cab ride from the hotel from wouldn't cost too much. There are rooms on the ground floor but as far as I recall no elevators so for your elderly companion you might want to request the 1st floor. This is an old house, more like a B&B than a hotel. I don't imagine they have more than 10 - 15 rooms to let. But they are nice and comfortable rooms with good heat & good water pressure. So check it out.

And for the local folks , the Viewmount has a lounge & restaurant that's open a few nights a week, maybe Thurs., Fri., & Sat., possibly Sun. afternoon as well. I don't quite remember all the details. But it would be a good place to go for a special occasion - birthday, anniversary, graduation etc. My siblings and I celebrated our youngest brother's 75th birthday there along with two first cousins from Ballinalee and another first cousin & her spouse from Dublin. and all had a marvelous time.

FYI I have no personal or business connection to Viewmount House or it's owners. I just have fond memories of good food & wine, and pleasant rest and relaxation while there. So I thought I'd pass it along,

Happy travelling,

Eileen

Reply to: where to stay in Longford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longford