We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Letterfrack

Lapstone
Level Contributor
38 posts
354 reviews
Save Topic
Letterfrack

On my journey from Inishbofin Island to Galway in June 2014, I want to stop off for one day/night to do some walking and was thinking of staying at either Clifden or Letterfrack. Which is the better place to stay to start and finish a nice walk in that area? I will not have a car. It seems Clifden is a nice little town with plenty of accommodation. Letterfrack looks smaller, and I don't mind it being quiet, but is there a couple of small shops or restaurant at least if I decided to stay there? Perhaps there is another small town betwen Cleegan and Galway on the bus route that would be perhaps be better for a day walk.

7 replies to this topic
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Letterfrack

Clifden will offer many more choices for both lodging and food. I love Letterfrack but The Bard's Den is really the only choice for food. It's pretty good, though. There are a number of B and B's in Letterfrack though I'm not knowledgeable about any of them. Good walking opportunities from either though letterfrack would get my vote due to the National Park being right in town.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Letterfrack

Letterfrack is walking distance to the Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey, however there is very little else to commend it from being a tiny (crossroads) village. My choice without a doubt would be Clifden situated close to the sea, which has some nice shops, pubs and restaurants along with a good choice of accommodation.

Lapstone
Level Contributor
38 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Letterfrack

Thanks for your message. The choice is now easy for me. By your description, Clifden will suit me far better

Lapstone
Level Contributor
38 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Letterfrack

Thanks for the info about Letterfrack. I feel Clifden would be a better option or me.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,016 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Letterfrack

Yup, you'll enjoy Clifden.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,607 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Letterfrack

There is the Walking Festival and Bog Week right at the very start of June plus the walking Festival at Killary Harbour but you might miss all that, not sure what's on mid June just yet? seems to be a void between the walking and July's Rugby which will no doubt be filled sometime soon.

Dun Ri is the place I give as a good central Guest House but there is a fair amount of accommodation and a good choice of eating and drinking.. including music..

Lapstone
Level Contributor
38 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Letterfrack

Thanks for that info about Letterfrack, I look like being in that area about 7th June but I'll check out the festival. Might mean I have to book ahead to be sure of a room then too.

Reply to: Letterfrack
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Letterfrack
Recent Conversations