We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corazón Maya Spanish School

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Corazón Maya Spanish School

I have seen a recent thread re: Spanish Schools - has anyone had recent experience with the Corazón Maya Spanish School?

Thank you. :)

33 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

I haven't, but I do have another recommendation in the area; if you'd like to hear it, let me know.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Thanks, Hopefulist, I saw the weigh-in in the last Spanish school thread in the SPdL forum. Thoughts appreciated! :)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Is that appreciated the thoughts in the other thread or want them here?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Saw them already in the other thread, no need to repost, thank you. :O)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
939 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

I haven't studied at Corazon Maya, but I know the family that runs it. Dona Marta and her husband have done a lot of work to help educate indigenous girls in the community. The school facilities are nice, situated in a quiet area away from town and right on the lake.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Thanks, Monteverde - they have responded to my email and I'm making arrangements to meet with them. Rosa seems lovely. I'll definitely do a review of the school after the fact. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Hello SocklessJ,

We're looking at Corazon Maya language school and are hoping you can share your experience with us.

Cheers,

Robl74

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

I learned my Spanish elsewhere but they have a very good reputation. Seen some nice reviews on other sites. They honestly work with the community. Happy trailmix. Beware of touts with links.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Hi, Rob. I ended up doing my 8 days of instruction at a school closer to where I stayed but I did visit Corazon and had a lovely tour of the school, the accommodation and the volunteer centre on site while I was staying in San Pedro (I have forgotten the name of the lovely man who spent almost an hour with me).

Corazon is off of the "tourist/backpacker grid" of San Pedro. Everything is a 5Q tuk-tuk ride away so no one would be stranded. It's on a beautiful little finca (farm) fronting Lago Atitlan, on a flat, reeded part of the lake. The accommodations on site (as opposed to the homestays) are simple but quite comfortable bungalows at ridiculously reasonable rates, some with kitchens.

The volunteer component of the experience, should you care to partake, is right on the property.

I was very impressed with Corazon and the pride in the school and the grassroots program they sponsor was very apparent in the Corazon (heart) and eyes of the staff working there. I plan to return but of course cannot speak to the experience of actually studying there.

San Pedro has many language schools: Corazon is by reputation and history among the Top 5.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corazón Maya Spanish School

Thank you for your reply and your impression of the school. We've started our classes yesterday. So far, so good 😃 I'll post a review when we've finished our course.

Reply to: Corazón Maya Spanish School
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro La Laguna