We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

I'm in the process of planning our second trip to Costa Rica and about whether the 11 days we had should be spent in the Osa peninsula.

We will have done a weeks volunteering in San Ramon and have visited Costa Rica before and to some extent want a relaxing holiday rather than trying to cram everything in in the 11 days we have.

We would like a mixture of towns and rainforest / beach but I'm in two minds as to whether to just stay in Osa for all that time or travel up the coast taking in Quepos / Manuel Antonio and maybe Dominica.

If we stay in Osa we were possibly thinking of three nights in Puerto Jimenez, three nights at Bosque de Cabp, three nights at somewhere like La Leona and two nights at Drake Bay before spending a night in San Jose before our flight back to London. If we did this itinerary is it easy enough to get around Osa without backtracking i.e. going from Puerto Jimenez to Bosque to La Leona to Drake Bay and back to San Jose??

The only thing with that is we then won't get to see Quepos / Manuel Antonio or Dominica. But we have been to Rara Avis bordering Braulio Carrillo National Park, Arenal, Monte Verde, Tamarindo and Rincon de la Vieja on a previous visit to Costa Rica.

Any advice is gratefully recieved.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

I will drive from San Ramon to Manuel Antonio...UVITA check with tikivillas great person he is from London...keep going to Puerto Jimenez...Carate...visit the park...Drakes bay...then fly back to SJO...

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

You can skip Manuel Antonio if you've spent a week in the Osa.

With that much time, you should consider an overnight at the Sirena station, if you can forego creature comforts for a night.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

Osa Peninsula and Puerto jimenez will give you the town bit, Cabo Matapalo & La Leona are amazing area. The complication is going to Drake without backtracking, maybe someone can chime in.

You could check with the Drake Bay Lodge were you are staying on how to go from La lorena to Drake as they may offer a boat charter to pick you up (though that would add a few hunderd dollars. Otherwise you would need to go back to PJ and continue to Drake by car/taxi. Or all the way to Sierpe and take the regular boats.

If you are planning on going to the Uvita / Dominical Area, there are day trips from Marino Ballena Marine NP to Cano Island as well as San Pedrillo and Sirena in Corcovado which is on offer from Drake.

A possibility is if you were to check with the Uvita tour operators you could hike to San Pedrillo or La sirena from Lorena and meet them at San Pedrillo or La Sirena and continue to Uvita/Dominical then back to SJO.

These companies operate tours to Corcovado from Uvita, check with them:

http://www.bahiaaventuras.com

www.ballenatourcostarica.com/in/home.html

http://www.dolphintourcostarica.com/

http://www.southernexpeditionscr.com/

Maybe someone familiar with Drake bay operators etc can chime in.

Once in Drake Bay water taxi to Sierpe road to Uvita/ Dominical then Quepos/Manuel Antonio then San Jose

Frankly if you are spending time at Corcovado you may find in comparison Manuel Antonio park very small and quite crowded in comparison. It’s a very nice area but Corcovado will give you the king of Rainforests in Costa Rica.

Sounds like quite an adventure and loads of fun! Enjoy!

Edited: 28 September 2011, 08:17
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

You could start your Osa adventure in Drake, catch a boat from there to Sirena, stay there 1-2 nights, and then hike to Carate, and then go from there to Matapalo/Bosque del Cabo, and then to Puerto Jimenez and then fly back.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

I'm with Racandee on this one. Head for Drake Bay first for at least 2 nites. Take a 1/2 day snorkeling trip to Cano Island. Then head to Sirena ranger station for 1-2 nites and hike south out of the park. Great opportunities to see wildlife. You'll appreciate your luxury lodge even more after a couple of nights at the ranger station and the long hike out. I'd say 4 nites at Bosque del Cabo, thenend witha couple of nites on the beach near Puerto Jimenez before flying back to San Jose. Some place like the Iguana Lodge or Black Turtle Lodge (but I've never stayed at either).

For a guided trek of Corcovado, check with your Drake Bay Lodge. I can also recommend Mike at Osa Aventuras who arranged our trek. Corcovado Expeditions also gets some good views on this site and may be able to help.

After this adventure Manuel Antonio would be a let down IMO after seeing the rainforest in its splendor without the crowds at MA.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 11:26
London
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

Many thanks everyone... I think you've confirmed my views about MA and I've decided not to include Manuel Antonio. Now I'm looking at two days at Puerto Jimenez, 4 at Bosque de Cabo, two at Drake Bake and three at Quepos. I think I would look at flying to PJ then by car, hire or otherwise back to San Jose.

What I thought was going to be an easy trip to organise as we've been to CR before is proving to be just as difficult.... it's an amazing country.

Thank you once again....

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

Quepos=Manuel Antonio.

Did you mean to say three days at La Leona?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

If you have decided not to include Manuel Antonio, why are you going to Quepos? I'm a bit confused.....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

Yes, take Quepos out of the equation and add a night or two to Drake Bay. You really need at least 3 nights there to give you two full days. You can also hire a car to drive you from Drake Bay to Puerto Jimenez, just another option depending on your final itinerary.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To stay in Osa for 11 nights or not...

Agree with others and you...delete Quepos this time...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay