We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

We're spending six nights in the Osa Peninsula in February:

2 nights Drake Bay (Finca Maresia)

2 nights Sirena Ranger Station

2 nights Drake Bay (Finca Maresia)

We're already booked The Night Tour (with Tracie the bug lady) for our first night in Drake.

Do people recommend specific activities? We do want to do some birding, but are there birds we'll see in Drake that we won't see while in Corcovado? Also, are the whale/dolphin tours or Cano Island worth doing this time of year?

Is the Terraba mangrove any more interesting than Isla Damas in Manuel Antonio?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Finca Maresia
Finca Maresia
982 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Sirena Ranger Station
Sirena Ranger Station
186 Reviews
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
The Night Tour with Tracie The Bug Lady
The Night Tour with...
349 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Cano Island
Cano Island
875 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Trinidad
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

Hi, was wondering, how did you get to and from Sirena? and at what cost? Planning a trip there soon and would like to do one night in Sirena but have no idea how to get there from Drake. thanks!!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

tripadvisor.com/…31352285

Hotel was $85/ night incl breakfast. Transport to Sirena was $25 per person per way. Most expensive part was the meals at Sirena--$20 per person per meal.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,687 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

Thank you Ray...good to know...

roadadvisor

Trinidad
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

Hey thanks so much for your response! do you remember who you booked the boat with?? Also how did you book your tour guide in Sirena (Kenneth)?

I want to do the same thing but just spend one night in Sirena. So far, I've not figured out where to get a boat to Sirena and the tour companies are all saying that I have to pay for a tour to go to Sirena ($95) then remain there instead of going back on the boat. Then I have to pay $40 to go back on a boat the next day on a first come first serve basis (i.e. not guaranteed).

But if I figure out how to get to Sirena on my own (without a guided tour), I still would like a guide when i get there. So far, I've found guides that say they will give a tour in sirena but I have to pay for their boat transfer, park fees etc. It sounds like you just met up with someone who was already there!

Thank you so much for your help. It would be really great to hear from someone who's done it already!

Renee

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

We booked our guide and transport through Miguel at Finca Maresia. I could pm you Kenneth's contact info if you want.

Sleeping arrangements, entrance fee, and meals (including for the guide) we booked through Sol de Osa.

Mentioned in this post
Finca Maresia
Finca Maresia
982 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Trinidad
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

yes, thank you could you message me that info?? you are a life saver!!!

I know about Solde Osa's permit arrangements so I can contact them on my own but please do send me Kenneth's info. Thanks again!

7. Re: Recommended tours in Drake Bay. Terraba mangrove worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2012, 01:16