We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

denver
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

We are spending our last vacation days in Costa Rica just south of Dominical, but must fly out of Liberia Airport. I see no air flights from Dominical area (or even from Quepos) to Liberia.

Any suggestions on best transportation options? I'm guessing we may have to give up our last night in the cabina to ensure we make our 2 pm Liberia flight.

However, I still don't know the best option to get to Liberia.

We were not intending to rent a car these last few days, just relax on the beach, and our lodging is already reserved with a deposit.

I 'm aware that SJO would have been more central for departure but we were able to fly free, using mileage points, to Liberia.

Any ideas for us? Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

You'll need to spend the last night closer to Liberia as it's a 5 hour drive from Dominical. Suggest you hire a private driver. Do a search on this forum and you can pull up recommended drivers.

However I would suggest that you rethink the plan and rent a car for Dominical and then just drive it to the airport the day before departure. You may find that a car can be very handy in this area where things are spread out and there are beaches and waterfalls to explore as well as some good restaurants on the highway between Dominical and Uvita. There are not many taxis in this area. Not an area where I would expect to spend a few days just relaxing on the beach unless you are surfers.

denver
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

Thank you for your prompt suggestions. I am considering a car based on your advice. It is wonderful for mobillty, but it feels so expensive with all the legal requirements. And no, we are not surfers, we are older eco-travelers--flora, fauna, waterfalls and ocean. Towns are fun, too, but I love quiet beaches-- sand, tide pools, coves,etc. I was even hoping for some safe swimming.

We are actually a little south of Dominical at Coconut Grove cottages---kitchen w a fridge, sit on a front porch, hear the waves, quieter beach, close to Uvita area, too, but not in a town. That's how I imagine it anyway .But if local taxis are hard to order by phone and get, as in "please drop us at Parque Nacional Marino Ballena", then I might have to bite the bullet and deal with the expense of the rental car. And, of course, your suggestion of driving back to Liberia would make sense, certainly, in that case. I'm a little torn but I will investigate now that I know taxis are few, because we enjoy local exploring and it can't always be reached easily by foot. Thank you.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
27 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

The owner's of Coconut Grove can help set you up with a couple taxi phone numbers right when you get there, but keep in mind that most local taxis will only speak Spanish. They are located on a quiet beach, so if you want to get to any other beaches you will have to take a taxi (Coconut Grove is right off the highway so dangerous to walk even if you wanted to, but the distance to any other beach is quite great). Getting back to Liberia will be a challenge though, you could fly Sansa or Nature Air to SJO and then to Liberia, so you would just need a taxi to get you to Quepos. Otherwise, hiring a private driver is your best option, because most of the group taxis in the area only go to San Jose.

denver
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

Thank you!

5. Re: Transportation from Dominical to Liberia airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2017, 16:16