We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

Hi, my husband and I will be visiting in the next month.

For 2 of the days we're still unsure what to do between Manuel Antonio and San Jose...

Option 1 - Leave manuel antonio in the morning and go to Uvita to enjoy the beach and a whale tour. Stay the night there and then leave in the morning to check out the Nauyaca falls. After the falls drive to San Jose

Option 2 - Leave manuel antonio in the morning and go to Uvita for a whale tour and then check out the Nauyaca falls. The next morning we can drive to San Jose area through the San Gerardo de Dota (maybe a small hike or just for a meal).

1 - Which of these (or other match up) would you recommend?

2 - To save some time, can we need to stay in Dominical instead of Uvita to watch whales?

3 - Is there a safe place we can park the car (not a 4x4) for the Nauyaca waterfalls? we want to hike on our own, not with the tour

4 - Is it worth just driving through the cloud forest to check it out on the way to San Jose?

Thank you!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

Option 2 would be my pick. Now, whale tour can be productive ... or not. Thus I would not put too much of my travel time on it. Instead of, I would do Nauyaca in the morning, Uvita / Marino Ballena NP in the early afternoon, drive to San gerardo and overnight in San gerardo.

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

Thanks! We'd really love to see whales. Do you mean that february is not a good time to spot them?

Also, is there a safe place we can park the car (not a 4x4) for the Nauyaca waterfalls? we want to hike on our own, not with the tour.

And is there a place you'd recommend to stay in San Gerardo?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

I mean that in general, it is not always easy to spot a whale. The ocean is big. At least that are my experiences.

There are several lodges, and some places that offers cabins. Go through reviews to find out which would suit you better.

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

Dear Daniela.

Looking for an option will be easy for you and your husband my recommendation is:

Stay one night in Dominical, take the Whale watching tour in the morning, but you have to take into account that whale season is in September, October, November; but the good new is we have dolphins the whole year around. villasriomar.com/activities_around_dominical

For the afternoon you can visit some of the most beautiful beaches that we have in this area: Dominicalito, Hermosa, even stay in the park after the tour so you can walk in the whale tail if is low tide.

The next day you can go to Nauyaca Waterfall, you can park the car next to the office, pay the entrance and make the walk who is round 4 km, the place is gorgeous!!! My recommendation: be there very early (8:00 am at less) so you can go to San José by the mountains in the afternoon; the weather there is completely different than in this area, is cool!!

In the middle of Cerro de la Muerte you can make a walk, is not so long, and if is not cloudy you can see the two oceans (Pacific & Caribbean), the view it’s amazing!!

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

spotting whales.

Mainly watch for the spouts, and better seen in calm seas. Wind waves and whitecaps can make locating whales from shore problematical but not impossible.

We have whales close into shore....9 yrs living on Kauai Island, 35 years of sailing the san pedro channel as a charte captain, between southern calif coastline and catalina, and now living in dana point calif.

Another tip , if there are whale watch boats....keep an eye on the boats and if they are roaring thru the waster, look at a line from their bow....the skipper had spotted a whale or maybe a whole pod.

It really is up to the whales , and not us humans , but feb is a good month for Hawaii and southern California, not sure about Costa Rica. For us, they were running a bit late , we think due to El Nino .

6. Re: whale watching, waterfall and cloud forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2017, 18:17