We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with an infant

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with an infant

We will be visiting Dominical in December and are looking for recommendations for things to do with our 10 month old. She's great when hiking in the backpack and loves the water so hikes and calm beaches are an option. Also recommendations on kid friend restaurants in the area would be great.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with an infant

Head up to Nauyaca waterfall (rocks are slippery where wet but it's a great swimming hole) and south to Playa Dominicalito.

Children are very important in Costa Rican culture. For example if you have an infant in your arms social convention says you can go to the front of any queue. Any restaurant will be kid friendly.

Please be extremely careful putting her down because there may be some unexpected hazards (ants for example) and warnings about the tropical sun (even more intense than at high elevation in the Rockies) and avoiding mosquitoes are even more important for little ones.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
337 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with an infant

We just came back from our one week trip visiting Arenal and Manuel Antonio. I just wanted to say that everyone is going to love your baby :) You will find most of the restaurant kids friendly and have the most beautiful/clean high chairs!!

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with an infant

Thank you for the reply! Any recommendations on things you wish you had packed or that you did find helpful to have along? We tend to minimize the stuff we pack when traveling but since we are going for such a long time I don't want to overlook some things.

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with an infant

Thanks! Note taken about the sun. We've got plenty of sun hats and full coverage swimsuits. Good reminder on the Mosquitos. We will pack additional lite weight long sleeves and pants to protect against bugs and sun!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with an infant

You may want to bring your own car seat/carrier. The ones provided by the rental agencies can vary widely in quality. A big umbrella comes in handy for sun and rain. Something you can leave at home is any sort of stroller unless it's 4WD...sidewalks are not that common.

I don't know what they are called but my god-grandson (is that what you call it when your godchild has a kid?) had this super cool little mesh bag with a screw cap. You stick hunks of fruit in it and they suck it through the mesh like a lollipop and can't swallow big pieces they could choke on. I want a big version to stick mangoes in for myself.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
337 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with an infant

As mention above, we usually travel with own carseat and we did this time as well. Since we did a lot of driving, it was nice to have a comfortable seat for my son to sleep in.

When we go to warm climate, we bring freezing lunch pack, like PackIt. You throw the whole bag into the freezer over night and entire thing freezes to keep the food cool. My son is always hungry and it comes in handy when he is about to be grumpy because he is getting hungry.

If you plan on spending time on the beach, baby powder helps get rid of sand off easily from wet surface.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with an infant

Costa Rica is very welcoming to families so you're more likely to hand your babe over to the cooing waitress than be asked to leave the restaurant! You mention a backpack but not if you're bringing a stroller -- while the roads and sidewalks here are pretty tough conditions for a stroller, I appreciated mine for naptimes with a special mosquito net over it to let breeze in but keep bugs out.

8. Re: Traveling with an infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2016, 16:17