We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4wd roads around Dominical

Annapolis, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
4wd roads around Dominical

I'm curious what sort of 4wd adventures are possible near dominical. I'm renting a Jimny (or maybe a hilux) and will be driving from Arenal down to Dominical and would like to drive some tracks down that way.

I'm a fairly experienced off-road driver looking to get off the beaten path a bit and see some neat stuff.

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

Stick to the Jimmy! The Hilux is just too big of a truck for Ticolandia's narrow roads.

The true off-road driving is #1 not permitted and not insured by the rental car company and #2 not allowed by the land owners. Thus you will need to stick to the public roads. luckily some of these will be a worthy opponent to your driving skills!

Basically, just start driving up the hill and see where the roads will lead you. But be sure to remember the way in order to be able to get back (a GPS in Tracking Mode is an useful tool). One of very scenic drives I have made was up to Rancho Tranquillo close to El Diamante waterfall. Even driving to some lodges and restaurants in the hills between Dominical and Ojochal can be a challenge per se.

Not an off road but extremely scenic drive is the very early morning drive from Dominical towards San Isidro and further on PanAm Hwy and at KM 80 down to the San Gerardo de Dota.

You have not said which month but if in dry season, try reaching Drake Bay! A few rivers to be forded (again, all insurances are null and void if you get stuck in the river). Best if you will do an overnight at DB.

Hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions (Sonnysullivan, costaricaguide, ...).

Have fun but play it safely!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

Xelas has it exactly right. Just start driving up (anything that doesn't have a gate look like a driveway) and you'll find adventure. The level of challenge is completely random and unpredictable but much higher in the rainy season. Something that's rutted nearly beyond recognition one week may be freshly graded the next and then if it rains hard, totally impassable the next.

About five years ago we drove from Curré to Aguila Abajo through the valley south of Dominical and it was 40 km of white knuckles. One major river ford in the absolute middle of nowhere. It would have been a long walk to anything. It's kind of a road from nowhere to nowhere (everyone uses the paved Pan American or Coastal Route instead) so I'd be surprised if it's much improved.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

In Uvita quite a few dirt roads that go up the mountains can get very rough once you pass the main homes, So exploring the mountain roads starting from Uvita will tale you to waterfalls, river crossings and highly rutted roads.

Annapolis, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

Awesome thanks for the information! I'll be down there Dec 12 to the 19th next month.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

Good luck and zero accident! Report what you will find when safe home.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

i only ever rent 4x4 for this reason! i haven't done anything around dominical, but sa isidro/perez zeledon up the hill from dominical had lots of dirt roads disappearing into the hills. good luck and have fun!

7. Re: 4wd roads around Dominical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2016, 17:17