We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

We are just a few short weeks away from our vacation in Dominical. I'm slightly obsessed with Sloths and am really hoping to see one while in CR. How common are they in the Dominical area?

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

This time of year your chances are better due to the afternoon rains that bring the wildlife out in bigger numbers. Depending on where you are staying I would say your chances are 50 / 50. Sometimes you are loping right at them and do not see them. If you want to increase your chances, then I suggest you take the Hacienda Baru 8 am tour called "the Flight of the Toucan". It is a guided combination hike with a few zip lines and I would say 90% of my guests report that they saw a sloth during the tour. It is only 3 Km north of Dominical and about $35. If you can get your e-mail address to me I will be glad to share the photo of the first sloth I saw here in Dominical about 8 years ago and have not been able to capture a better photo since then. Good luck and let us know if you saw one.

2. Re: Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:04
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,523 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

samiam - it would be better if you sent your email address via a private message to Dave. Posting it here in the forum might result in a lot of unwanted junk mail. To send a private message, click on Dave's name and you'll see a link for sending a message. To delete your post above, click on the link "Report Inappropriate content" at the bottom of your post and then choose "remove my post".

Agree with Dave's suggestion for Hacienda Baru - really enjoyed our time there last month and we saw a sloth in a tree right next to the trail (we were hiking on our own, but going with a guide will help ensure seeing one.) We also saw them in Manuel Antonio park.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

Depending of people you my meet in Dominical you can ask them if they know about any sloths around or the best place to see them…

roadadvisor

5. Re: Chances of seeing sloths in Dominical?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 15:15