We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas Alturas Road?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Villas Alturas Road?

We are considering staying at Villas Alturas for 4 nights in July. It gets good reviews, but I'm concerned about the road to the hotel. We will probably be arriving to the hotel after dark, and since it's July there's a good chance it will be raining... We live in Illinois where all roads are very flat, so we're not used to driving up the sides of mountains. Are we crazy to think about driving up Villa Alturas' road at night? If it's raining? Or is the road not that bad?

I'm sure we'll be fine during the day, I just worry about our first drive up to the hotel being in the rainy dark :/

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Villas Alturas Road?

Susan and Obxpat - You are both excellent spokespeople for Villas Alturas - I've just booked our stay with them! I decided I just felt more comfortable staying at a hotel, as opposed to a vacation home for our first stay in Costa Rica. We've booked through VRBO many times before and always with great success, but a hotel just felt more secure this time. And my daughter wanting to see monkeys kind of sealed the deal. Very, very excited!! Thank you both so much for all of your help! July will be here before we know it :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Villas Alturas Road?

3 hours should do it, especially on those days/times. We weren't pushing it because we knew we had time to spare, and we had a 5-10 minute delay for construction ... and still did it within 3 hours.

They still put bananas out and we saw monkeys almost every day ... one day there were 6 at once and it must have been two families because one adult was trying to keep some of the monkeys away from the bananas; in the end she gave up and all of them got bananas. They are really cute (white faced/capuchin ones) ... and they know which bananas are ripe and which aren't. If the banana doesn't come off easily, they go for a riper one.

A bonus ... there's a new puppy, Ziggy. Very well behaved dogs; they are only allowed as far as reception.

The toucans were a highlight too, but lots of other birds as well.

I think you'll really like it ... very peaceful and beautiful, and the villas are really comfortable. The porches are wonderful & the bed was the best we had on the whole trip. After staying there, I know I would prefer it to being in a house in a subdivision. It's quite reasonably priced too when you consider that breakfast and taxes are included in the price. Friendly owners/staff with a wealth of info about the area, which beaches to go to when (high or low tide), and suggestions on what to do if you have some free time.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 06:51
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Villas Alturas Road?

That's great famvac that you've booked & thanks for the nice comments! You're welcome!!

Funny that we were writing at the same time and I was conveying my thoughts on staying in a place like this vs a house ...we rent thru VRBO often for other destinations too, but in CR, VA was an excellent choice.

Have a great time!!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Villas Alturas Road?

I think you made a great decision. VA is kind of a compromise between a private villa and a "hotel". Each villa is self contained so you can have all the privacy you want with the "conveniences" of a hotel. We really enjoyed the setting and spent much more time on site than we typically do when traveling. We were there at New Years so it was full but still did not feel crowded. The monkeys were there early morning and late afternoon. The coatimundi came and ate the not so ripe bananas. Be sure to walk out back and you may see the blue butterflies. We were lucky to have scarlett macaws visit one day. Numerous toucans every day!

25. Re: Villas Alturas Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 16:15