We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominical hillside vs beach?

2 posts
Dominical hillside vs beach?

In the beginning stages of planning a family vacation for my family of 4 (2 young kids aged 1 and 3) and possibly the grandparents. We wanted suggestions on where to find a villa.m should we look to stay right in the town of dominical so we can walk to restaurants and the beach, or find a villa in the hills with views? is the town nice enough to stay right in? Or do you know of any villas in the hills that are close enough to walk to some things. We are worried about having the pack the kids in the car everything we want to go to the beach or to eat, but it seems like the accommodations are nicer if you aren't right in town? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Dominical hillside vs beach?

I think your perceptions are correct. Villas up in the hills tend to be nicer than the beachside hotels, with better views and less heat. If your chosen villa is close to the costanera highway, you may hear traffic noise. As you go up in elevation, there are more cooling breezes, the views get better, and there are fewer mosquitos, so higher is better. With a villa you will also have more space and more privacy for your group. The hotels in Dominical are more geared to the younger surf crowd (not that there anything wrong with that :)) and can be a little noisy at times. If you want to explore the other beaches or other towns to see more than just Dominical town, you will still need to get in the car to explore.

Although it may seem a drag to get in the car to go to the beach or to eat, remember that the drive up and down the coastal highway to get from here to there is quite beautiful. I think you will see it as a good part of the adventure.

In looking for a villa, be sure to ask lots of questions of the owner. Many do advertise that you can "walk to" the beach, but neglect to mention that it can be a long, hot walk and a longer, hotter walk uphill on the return. And you often have to cross or walk along the fairly busy highway. That is not something I would want to do with tired toddlers.

Good luck in your search and have a great stay!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Dominical hillside vs beach?

Just be aware that Dominical is very small, the smallest town you can think of - and there are hardly any accomodations in town. You might want to check this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…55355046

That said, we really enjoyed the atmosphere of Dominical. It worked well for us. We actually stayed inland on the road to San Isidro, and drove to Dominical every day.

FYI, Dominical beach is not a good resort beach right now, a lot of rocks and pebbles brought over by the river in a recent shift. It's really good for surfing though.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Dominical hillside vs beach?

I agree to all of the above. Also, Uvita is close, just one town south. I personally think it's a nicer town, there is nicer lodging close to the beach if you really want to be walking distance to the beach. I would still choose to be higher up, I like the views and slightly cooler temperatures. The beaches are beautiful and with the National Park there are activities for the kids.

Whidbey Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Dominical hillside vs beach?

I would check with Dave West (Dominical Dave) from Remax...he is here on Trip advisor as Dominical Dave or at Remax Costa Del Sol . He has a bunch of rentals (studios and villas) at really great prices.

We just used him for a week at Olas Hermosa which is a studio just an easy walk or drive from Dominical. The apartment is over his office and has a terrace with an 180 degree view, kitchen and use of a pool. It was inexpensive and a roomy place very central to the waterfall which you can walk to or Dominical which can also walk to along the beach or drive. Uvita is a 10-15 minute drive as well as San ISidro 45 minutes away. Hes very helpful and has alot of info! I highly recommend him!

5. Re: Dominical hillside vs beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 16:18