We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for Limited Mobility?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Activities for Limited Mobility?

We'll be visiting the Dominical/Uvita area in July with our 9 year old daughter and my parents. There are plenty of activities to keep my husband, daughter, and I busy (ziplining, hiking, horseback riding, etc.), but I'm worried about finding things for my mother to do. She broke her ankle a couple years ago and has never fully recovered. She can't walk long distances and will have difficulty walking much on uneven surfaces. She'll be happy to spend time at the home we'll be renting, but I would like to have a few activities she can take part in. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities in the Dominical or Manuel Antonio areas?

I see there is a rainforest tram near Jaco, but I'm thinking that will be too far from where we're staying...

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

Some thoughts:

- Neither Dominical nor Uvita have very good even-walking areas across the whole town. Quepos is a little better.

- I think that the main trail in Manuel Antonio is good enough to use with a wheel chair. You might be able to rent one for the day and take her there?

- Whale watching in a boat off of Uvita might work

- If you all go horseback riding to Nauyaca falls near Dominical, she could stay in the company van and go from point to point with you.

- Jeep tours

- driving to Boruca village and looking for masks, purses and textiles

- Near MA, in from of the public beach, there are places where you can sit in the shade and watch the people and the beach. Maybe some people watching there?

- If you go surfing in Dominical with Dominical WaveRider Surf Camp, she could watch the surfing from a chair in the shade by the trees, or stay at Tortilla Flats reading a book in the shade, or gently walk around the street vendors to find good souvenirs.

- possibly the best solution might be to rent a place that has great views, and some activities right there, such as a good eco-lodge? We heard good things about Rafiki Lodge (we drove by it on our way up the Savegre), where many activities happen right there, or near by with minivan shuttles. We stayed at Rio Magnolia, which fits the bill as well, but which is about 1 hour drive from the coast ( a touch further than Rafiki, which is about 45 mins up from the Costanera, I'd say). We could have stayed several days at the lodge alone without leaving it - we enjoyed it and the grounds so much! Finally, there are villas on the coast that don't have their own activities, but that have a view and a pool - for instance Villas Alturas.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

My mom loved going on a mangrove tour when she visited right after knee surgery--- we all enjoyed it. I can't remember the name of the tour or where it was, but it was maybe 20 min outside of Quepos. You take a bus to a boat with just a few steps in between.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

Thanks very much for the ideas! I was wondering about boat tours - either whale watching or mangrove tours. I think either of those would work. And we're definitely renting a home with great views. I figure that should be a priority, since mom and dad will be staying at the house while the rest of us do more active activities. If they stay at a vacation rental with a great view and wildlife nearby, who can complain? :)

Interesting about the main trail at Manuel Antonio - I was actually wondering if there would be a trail there she could walk, at least a little bit to check out the park? I'd like to get her into the rainforest a little, if I can.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

The main trail at MA is broad, and fairly even. It used to be asphalted many years ago, but the asphalt is mostly gone. What is left is quite even, and does not go up and down much. It is really the easiest trail you can think of. It is broad enough for a narrow road (which it used to be). The park service vehicles take it frequently, and there is plenty of space to stay on the other side of the trail.

I have actually seen people walk that trail with a small camping chair tied to their backback, and set it up periodically on the trail for their elder companions to rest on

Btw, the bulk of the MA trail is quite shaded in the afternoon, a little less in the morning.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

Thanks, KasualObserver! That is very helpful!

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

There's a buggy tour in Manuel Antonio. I think they are called vacation buggytours.com

Its great for family of all ages. Also, right outside of Quepos there is a wild life sanctuary. Animals that did not survive the wild life, etc. susan@mavrentals is amazing and can give advice and set it all up for you. She is an amazing person to work with and has a world of experience.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

Elizabeth, that buggy tour looks perfect for my parents! Thank you! Do you happen to know the name of that wild life sanctuary? My mom and my daughter would love that.

8. Re: Activities for Limited Mobility?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 16:18