We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

new york
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

Looking to rent out Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica , just wondering if anyone had any feed back...both good and bad...Location, the property , the villas anything would be great...Cheers Pete

Orange, California
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

We were at Mareas in April, this year. What a wonderful time. We were looking for a exotic location for our daughter's wedding and decided to see if Mareas was suitable. Tim and Pilar were excellent hosts and arranged tours and activities. Their knowledge of the area was fantastic. The suites all had beautiful veiws and were spotless. The jungle hiking trails to the many waterfalls were great. We are going to book Mareas for our daughter's wedding and hopefully plan to arrange a extended family vacation there next year.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
2. Re: Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

Please read this.... I wish I had before I rented Mareas.

First of all, the house is amazing. You can't ask for anything more when renting a luxury villa. Especially one that is nested high above the rain forest and offers the views that Mareas does. Please keep this in mind as you continue reading. That being said, here's the heart of my review.

We rented this place for about 23 people. Everyone had a place to sleep, so it can definitely fit a party of that size. The place is fully furnished, stocked with dishes and silverware, has a pool cleaner that comes every 2 days, cleaning service in the mornings, has board games and playing cards, enough towels for everyone, etc. The house is exactly what we wanted when choosing a private luxury villa EXCEPT for the following items that were unknown to us prior to our arrival.

The owners: I have never rented a place that had the owners stay with you. By "stay with you" I literally mean STAY WITH YOU!! They have an apartment that they stay in that is located directly above the kitchen/bar area and main gathering place. This means that if you are looking to rent a place with some privacy, then MAREAS is NOT the place for you. Read other reviews on this house and you'll find that others have the same opinion. Tim comes down everyday and inspects the place with a fine tooth comb. He blamed us for a loose screw on the bbq grill that was loose when we arrived. Pilar complained to us about the volume of the music that we were playing and had Tim do the same to strengthen her argument. When renting a house, shouldn't you be allowed to play music as loud as you want and at any time you want? Mareas, as advertised, has no direct neighbor for miles! This house is not like any other house that I have ever rented. The owners need to learn that renting a private villa should come with privacy. Mareas has absolutely ZERO privacy!!! It felt like we had eyes on us for the duration of our stay. So much so that we decided to forfeit the last 2 days in order to stay in a 3 star hotel in Jaco.

The road: Be advised that the road up to the house is a long windy unpaved dirt road. You need a 4x4 to get to this place. It is very difficult to leave and return to the house, especially if you're coming here with a big party. The supermarket is overpriced and is about 20 minutes from the front door, so make sure that you have enough groceries prior to checking in.

Also be advised that guests are NOT permitted at the house. I had a friend of a friend visit us from San Jose with the intention of staying for a couple of days, only to find out that Pilar had wanted her to leave because she was not a part of the initial guest list upon check in.

All in all, the house is great despite the fact that the owners stay with you and knit pick about a lot of things. If you don't mind that, then you'll be ok. If you're renting this place expecting privacy, FORGET about it. Other reviews make it a point to let you know that Pilar looks out of the curtains of her apartment constantly monitoring your activity. This didn't happen as much while we were there, but there were daily walk throughs, so be prepared for that.

My personal opinion..... Stay away from this house. There are plenty of nice villas to rent, and I'm sure all of them offer the same luxurious amenities. They may even be easier to access with better roads. And most importantly, make sure you know if the owners will be staying with you or not. That would have been an easy deal breaker for our group had we known before booking. DO YOUR RESEARCH and read other reviews on this place.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
3. Re: Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

Please read this.... I wish I had before I rented Mareas.

First of all, the house is amazing. You can't ask for anything more when renting a luxury villa. Especially one that is nested high above the rain forest and offers the views that Mareas does. Please keep this in mind as you continue reading. That being said, here's the heart of my review.

We rented this place for about 23 people. Everyone had a place to sleep, so it can definitely fit a party of that size. The place is fully furnished, stocked with dishes and silverware, has a pool cleaner that comes every 2 days, cleaning service in the mornings, has board games and playing cards, enough towels for everyone, etc. The house is exactly what we wanted when choosing a private luxury villa EXCEPT for the following items that were unknown to us prior to our arrival.

The owners: I have never rented a place that had the owners stay with you. By "stay with you" I literally mean STAY WITH YOU!! They have an apartment that they stay in that is located directly above the kitchen/bar area and main gathering place. This means that if you are looking to rent a place with some privacy, then MAREAS is NOT the place for you. Read other reviews on this house and you'll find that others have the same opinion. Tim comes down everyday and inspects the place with a fine tooth comb. He blamed us for a loose screw on the bbq grill that was loose when we arrived. Pilar complained to us about the volume of the music that we were playing and had Tim do the same to strengthen her argument. When renting a house, shouldn't you be allowed to play music as loud as you want and at any time you want? Mareas, as advertised, has no direct neighbor for miles! This house is not like any other house that I have ever rented. The owners need to learn that renting a private villa should come with privacy. Mareas has absolutely ZERO privacy!!! It felt like we had eyes on us for the duration of our stay. So much so that we decided to forfeit the last 2 days in order to stay in a 3 star hotel in Jaco.

The road: Be advised that the road up to the house is a long windy unpaved dirt road. You need a 4x4 to get to this place. It is very difficult to leave and return to the house, especially if you're coming here with a big party. The supermarket is overpriced and is about 20 minutes from the front door, so make sure that you have enough groceries prior to checking in.

Also be advised that guests are NOT permitted at the house. I had a friend of a friend visit us from San Jose with the intention of staying for a couple of days, only to find out that Pilar had wanted her to leave because she was not a part of the initial guest list upon check in.

All in all, the house is great despite the fact that the owners stay with you and knit pick about a lot of things. If you don't mind that, then you'll be ok. If you're renting this place expecting privacy, FORGET about it. Other reviews make it a point to let you know that Pilar looks out of the curtains of her apartment constantly monitoring your activity. This didn't happen as much while we were there, but there were daily walk throughs, so be prepared for that.

My personal opinion..... Stay away from this house. There are plenty of nice villas to rent, and I'm sure all of them offer the same luxurious amenities. They may even be easier to access with better roads. And most importantly, make sure you know if the owners will be staying with you or not. That would have been an easy deal breaker for our group had we known before booking. DO YOUR RESEARCH and read other reviews on this place.

4. Re: Mareas Villas in Dominical Costa Rica ??? Any feed back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 16:24