We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

Hi all, we are planning our CR vacation for December and have already had some great advice from this forum. One idea is to spend a week down in the Uvita/Dominical area, at least partly because it puts us within day trip territory to Corcovado.

I was wondering whether anyone has experiences of these trips, and whether they are worth it? I know you won't get a full flavour of Corcocvado, but how much of a feel do you think we would get for the place? Realistically, what wildlife might we see?

It does seem a lot of travel for a few hours in the park, but realistically its our only way of getting there in the trip.does anyone have any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

Corcovado is easily about 3 to 4 hours each way from Uvita...long drive...and Corcovado National Park is huge...I do not think is a good visit...you will be on the road the whole day ...and basically what ever wild life you will see will be from the car...

The best as you know is maybe spend one night at any palce near the park and then spend some good hours inside the park..

From Uvita you can do a boat trip to the park ...but is not cheap.it is a fantastic way to see the costline around there that is increible...even Sir Francis Drake use to love to cruise around there!

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

Thanks Roadadvisor - Yes I was thinking of the boat trips you mentioned. In your estimation, is that worth it and what sort of wildlife could we realistically expect to see?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,796 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

IMO the boat trip off the beach near Uvita is the only way to go if you are staying in that area. While there is plenty of wildlife in the mangroves along the Sierpe if you drive there and boat down river, we were traveling too fast by boat to really spot much. The boat ride from Uvita in contrast is on the open ocean with a good chance to spot dolphins, flying fish, turtles or, if the seasin is right, whales.

There are 2 problems with boat trips from Uvita but I still think they are more than worth the cost. The boat trips visit San Pedrillo ranger station rather than Sirena. The tradeoff is that San Pedrillo has a great waterfall and some primary rainforest to hike through while much of the rainforest around Sirena is second growth but wildlife viewing near Sirena is incredible. Less predictable at San Pedrillo.

The other tradeoff for any daytrip is that the wildlife tends to be most active near dawn and dusk so to see that you really need 1 or more nights inside Corcovado. However that's not always possible to arrange given budgets and time constraints. IMO a daytrip is still worthwhile if you're in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

I think the question is how much do you enjoy boating, as you will be on the boat for a good amount of time, and some people find it a bump and uncomfortable ride, others love it. The good points are seeing dolphins, turtles, etc, but the down side is your very limited time in the park.

I think this would be worthwhile if you could get a trip to Sirena and arrange to spend one night at the Sirena Biological Station, that way you will enjoy dusk and dawn in the park, the peak times to view wildlife.

Pura Vida, Ballardo

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

From Uvita area there are two ways to visit Corcovado:

From Uvita beach with Bahia Adventures or Dolphine tours: $110 to $125 pp

Or drive to Sierpe and go with Perla del Sur: $95 pp

Both include in the rate, park entry fees, guide, boat, capitain, snacks and lunch as well as taxes.

With Perla del Sur you can visit either Pedrillo or Sirena ranger station. Also overnight options are available.

The boat ride is about 1hour 20 min and many people get to spot dolphines and during season Whales as well as Sea Turtles.

This is by far the easiest way to visit the park wile still not being isolated and being able to have a choice of restaurants and other activities.

I have been two times and loed it, gt to see a lot of wildlife including 4 types of monkeys, scarlet makawscoaties, sloths, ant eaters and pecaries.

Sommeonne on a tour from Uvita 2 weeks ago had the great fortune to spot a Jaguar but of course that is very rare.

Of course spending a couple of days camped out in Corcovado will increase the wildlife you get to see. But that is not in everyones style nor schedulle.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 09:20
Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Uvita Beach
Uvita Beach
506 Reviews
Uvita, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

Thank you Thomas...I enjoy so much your knoledge about the area from Uvita all the way around Osa...GRACIAS amigo!

Any thing is possible in Corcovado regarding wild life...immposible to even try to name what is possible to see or not to see...wild life is there ...hopefullly they will give you a show...

One thing I can guarantee you in the boat ride...you will see a lot of dolphins...and turtles...incredible number of them most of the time...

Not long ago they play around our boat almost the whole way from Quepos to Caño Island they were everywhere..jumping at the side of the boat...and they love to surf the boat waves or cswimming incredible fats in front of the boat...I just love them!

roadadvisor

Edited: 05 June 2012, 12:58
Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Quepos
Quepos
7. Re: Day trips to Corcovado from Uvita/Dominical - any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:41