We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
51 reviews
Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Never been to Costa Rica. We are a couple in our 50s from the US. We want to see what Ewing has created at his lodge for starters. We would fly to Quepos after San Jose and they meet you there. We plan on 14 days in Costa Rica and figure maybe 3 nights at the lodge. Then what?? Figuring heading over to Corcovado Nat'l park? Are there buses? Maybe stay at Marenco Lodge? A couple of days? Any local towns around vs. touristy? One caveat, cannot do high elevations so visit some central town? Also love beaches but hear it's hot, hot, hot.. So when would be good time to go? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

You will enjoy Hacienda Baru. From Hacienda Baru going south (From what I read Dominical would not be your kind of place - though good choice of restaurants) there are a tone of amazing beaches, Dominicalito, Hermosa de Osa, Uvita (and Marino Ballena Marine Park), Pinuelas, Ventanas (with Caves). Many of these have shade from palms, going early morning or late afternoon might keep you off the sun. Also with green season approaching you might find that the weather is not that hot hot hot on some days. From Uvita various tour operators have boat day trips to Corcovado ($100 to $110 pp full day) if you rather go that way.

What I would suggest if you only want to spend a couple of days at Hacienda baru . Stay 3 days Baru go to Corcovado connecting via Sierpe either by taxi (about $60 – 1 hour) to Sierpe then boat transfer for 3 - 4 days to a hotel or lodge in Corcovado - most lodges include the water transfer in the rate. Buses can take you to Puerto Jimenez but I would recommend either a Shuttle, rent a car (4x4) or private transfer as it would be more convenient.

On your way back from Corcovado possibly look at accommodation in Uvita & Ojochal areas on TA. Not touristy at all especially now. 3 or 4 days explore more the area and beaches and then make your way back to Quepos.

If you had not mentioned altitude I would have added Arenal & MonteVerde.

I am sure you will have a great time in Costa Rica & hacienda Baru!

Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Thank you so much for the wealth of info.. I like your suggestions. Is there a way if we were to follow that advice to avoid driving our own car? OR, if not, what would be the "least" amount of driving we would have to do. I just have been reading all of the hassles that are attached to having yet another item in your possession that you have to depend on..

Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Also after reading about lodges in Corcovado, that La Leona would be a better bet due to being closer to the park.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Glad I could help!

Rent a car would be the easiest, 4x4 you could pick it up from Quepos Airport and drop it back off With a car to Baru 45min drive. From Baru to Dominical 4min, Uvita 10 min and Ventanas 20 min. Straight highway all the way. Going to Puerto Jimenez is about a 3 - 4 hour drive then from there to Carate its another 1 hour on really bad road. I would recommend a car in Dominical Uvita area at least, but you can choose to rent once you are there and get a feel for the area.

There are public buses going from near Baru to PJ, Hacienda Baru could get you the latest schedule. From PJ you would need to get a 4x4 taxi to the Carate Lodge and I am sure they can help you. A private taxi transfer from Baru to La Leona would probably run about $200. There might be options via shuttles again Baru could help you. Third option would be to purchase another ticket from quepos to puerto Jimmenez then take a taxi.

If none of these options sound good to you, then maybe consider a Lodge near Drake Bay (ie las Caletas - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g313830-d594343-Reviews-Las_Caletas_Drake_Bay-Drake_Bay_Osa_Province_of_Puntarenas.html) You could then from Baru take a taxi to Sierpe (about 1 hour) then a water taxi 1.5 hours (again I am sure any lodge in the area can assist you with that). On the way back 45min taxi transfer to Ojochal or Uvita.

Finally if all that is just too much travel if you stay in the Dominical/Uvita area (inc Hacienda Baru) for the full time you can do a day tour to Sirrena or San pedrillo in Corcovado, the boat leaves from Uvita beach and takes about 1.5 hours to get there, includes guide, park entrance fees, snacks and lunch for about $110 pp from 8am to 4pm. From Uvita there are also tours to Cano Island, about 1 hours drive (taxi) to Manuel Antonio park and much more.

You are spoilt for choice. I know the Uvita/Dominical/Ojochal area very well but hopefully some other member more familiar with Corcovado can give you some additional feedback!

Oregon
Level Contributor
107 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Great info! Probably now thinking of not being so freaked about driving and just head from SJO to Dominical and using Dominical area for base and doing day trips including the eco lodge.. Also, from all the car rental info, seriously considering using Solid rental.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

That makes sense to rent a car in Dominical area, best get a 4x4 as it will allow you to explore waterfalls and access some beaches. Solid are close to SJO airport and is a good one as they also have a rep in the Dominical Area, National has an office in Uvita and Alamo also has a rep in the area, both are in San Jose. In my opinion makes it easier in case you wanted to change cars. Don't miss the flight of the Toucan tour zip line at Hacienda Baru and Playa Ventanas Beach! If you drive from San Jose allow 4 hours, if you arrive late in the afternoon better stay overnight and start in the morning.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,368 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Beaches around Uvita and Dominical and some around Osa are incredible nice...but also incredible dangerous due to strong rip tides...please alwyas ask locals...some beaches look so nice...but you never know!

roadadvisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

Ventanas, Dominicalito and Uvita Marino Ballena beaches are fine. Hermosa and Dominical are surfer beaches and have rip tides

9. Re: Hacienda baru lodge and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 15:17