We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a LARGE rent car

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need a LARGE rent car

I need a rent car for 6 people. I figured it was going to be impossible to find one big enough for everyone plus their luggage, so I thought we would hire a driver/van to get us from the San Jose airport to our rent house in Dominical, and then rent a 6 passenger car locally. I tried Vamos, but they surcharge $300 for pick up and drop off of the car if not getting it in San Jose. It seems like the whole rent car situation can be a little dicey, so wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a LARGE rent car

Twice we have rented a large SUV, Mitsubishi Montero, from Vamos. We fit six adults into it but did have to strap our luggage to the roof. They provided the straps.

We travel in the dry season. If it's rainy there are some things you can do to protect your things inside the bags.

Have you thought about renting two smaller vehicles? If you're only driving to Dominical you might be able to make do with sedans. The cost for two might not be that much more than the bigger charge for the premium SUV.

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a LARGE rent car

We are traveling in March. I will look into the two sedans option, that might work. Although I'm envisioning a full Clark Griswold scene playing out with both of us driving a car trying to keep up with one another navigating out of San Jose. Not sure how easy that will be. I did find an agency that will rent a van out of the airport.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a LARGE rent car

Waze, which is the most commonly used navigation app in Costa Rica, will let you tag a friend so you can follow your firend's progress on the same digital map that you are using to drive by.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a LARGE rent car

I see that Adobe does have a van for rent. Can we make it around Dominical in that? I don't think the rent house is terribly far uphill. We have transportation for several of the days included with our excursions, otherwise, we are just kicking around.

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a LARGE rent car

Really you need to talk to the folks you rented the house from. Many of the houses around Dominical are up very steep gravel roads and I very much doubt a van could get up the hill in the 3 different spots we have stayed in that area. We have stayed in 2 other spots just south of Dominical that were easy to access so it all depends on where you rented.

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Reply to: Need a LARGE rent car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted