We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

permit

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
permit

Just checking is the permit to hike in to see the falls your reservation for the lodge or camping permit if you can obtain one of them? Also do they need all the names of people in your group when reserving either a camping permit or lodge room or do they obtain money when you arrive.

I'm a bit confused when people are saying permit to get in. Thanks for clarifying.

6 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,735 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: permit

The permit is your reservation for the lodge or camping. Go to their website to see questions about a group. You pay in advance. If you are considering this year, it is not likely. The year sold out in February. If you use Facebook, look for pages about Havasu Falls and Havasupai. There is often information there about permits available, but such solicitation is not allowed in TA.

http://theofficialhavasupaitribe.com/

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: permit

Like Bob said, the official web site is the best place to start. Facebook groups then have more info, although they can be very disorganized. To address a couple of your questions:

(1) If you succeed in making a reservation (either for the campground or the Lodge), a permit is included.

(2) The full fee must be paid in advance for the campground; its nonrefundable. For the Lodge, a deposit is charged up front; you pay the rest on arrival. It IS refundable.

For the campground, reservations via a website opened up on February 1 (at 8 am MST, I believe) in past years. This may change this year. When you get to the official website Bob referenced, click on the link for campground reservations. You'll be taken to another site, where you may enter an email address, to be notified when campground reservations open up for 2019.

For the Lodge, reservations for all of 2019 have pretty much sold out already. For 2020 dates, reservations would be expected to open up on June 1, 2019. However, all things Havasupai have a way of changing, so keep checking.

Omaha, Nebraska
6 posts
3. Re: permit

Yes I have a reservation for a lodge room. When I made reservation they only took my name. I have 2 other hikers staying with me in the room. Will they let them in at check in point and do you pay when you arrive...cash only? Or can you use credit card.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: permit

As long as you're hiking in together, it's fine. Just show them your confirmation letter (I don't remember if they asked for my ID as well), and the three of you will be allowed to hike down. When you get to The Lodge, you'll pay the remaining amount due: the charge for the room, plus $90 per person entrance fee (which includes a permit), plus tax -- minus whatever you already paid. I used a credit card.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
5. Re: permit

I do not mean to hijack this post, but when I was lucky enough to get reservations at the lodge for next May I was not required to pay a deposit yet. THey took my name and address though. Should I call again and confirm?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: permit

I'd double check with The Lodge. I had to pay a deposit last year, and their web site says they charge a deposit. I should note that, while they took my credit card information when I first made the reservation, they didn't actually place a charge on it until about a year later -- right before my trip.

Reply to: permit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Supai