We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

My sisters and I are planning a 5 to 7 night getaway for our parents Mid 60s to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon and the beautiful red rock area. Where would you stay Sedona or Flagstaff and why?

We are looking at Boots and Saddles, or Cathedral Hideaway in Sedona or The Inn at 410 in Flagstaff.

All of these have great reviews but I'm not sure which area is best to stay in - we are looking for a romantic getaway (I mean really its amazing these days to be married 50 years to the same person and still be in love like our parents are)with great views - not very strenious hikes more like walks to do, great food.

Also hoping to have them spend one night at the Royal Palms when they arrive to get over the jet lag from traveling from the east coast.

So help us decide Sedona or Flagstaff?

Thanks as always I value these forums input on all my trips I plan

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

SEDONA!!!!

Flagstaff is a very nice town. But they won't get any of the awesome views they will have in Sedona. Also, Flagstaff is very much a "college" town.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Stay in Sedona. I live here now but I have stayed at the Inn on Oak Creek which is really nice. I will let others weigh in on the inns. You can reach Flag (40 minutes drive) and Grand Canyon (1 1/2 hour drive) easily from sedona.

The best dining experience is Dahl & Deluca. Consistently great. This would be the perfect anniversary dinner. Shugrue's is also very good. Dine at sunset at shugrues and eat on the deck. The views are amazing.

Easy hike - thunder mountain trail, chimney rock trail, teacup to top of sugarloaf for a view of the city. these are in west sedona -off of coffee pot drive to left on maxwell house right on caswell to trailhead parking.

hope you have fun and Congrats to your parents!!!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Stay in Sedona. I live here now but I have stayed at the Inn on Oak Creek which is really nice. I will let others weigh in on the inns. You can reach Flag (40 minutes drive) and Grand Canyon (1 1/2 hour drive) easily from sedona.

The best dining experience is Dahl & Deluca. Consistently great. This would be the perfect anniversary dinner. Shugrue's is also very good. Dine at sunset at shugrues and eat on the deck. The views are amazing.

Easy hike - thunder mountain trail, chimney rock trail, teacup to top of sugarloaf for a view of the city. these are in west sedona -off of coffee pot drive to left on maxwell house right on caswell to trailhead parking.

hope you have fun and Congrats to your parents!!!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

I would wholeheartedly second Dahl & DiLuca. Shugrue's is also very good. But I would also recommend the Cowboy Club Silver Saddle Room for wonderful food.

Another easy hike is Bell Rock. Also, the Bell Rock & Courthouse Butte hike is pretty easy, but quite a bit longer (2 1/2 hours vs around 1 hour to do Bell Rock.)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
52,856 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Sedona has far more charm and romance than Flagstaff IMHO., and also serves as an excellent gateway to the GCNP. Plenty of great options for lodging and dining.

Your choices of B&Bs are both great. Plenty more to choose from as well.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

I happen to agree with Redrox. About Sedona for this type of trip. Now the Inn @ 410 is a nice spot great location and the owners are nice. But for an anniversary I'd have to agree that Sedona is the more logical cchoice. You can also do a day trip to Flagstaff and check out the downtown area and attractions.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Thanks for your quick responses everyone I will let my other two sister read your responses and my vote will be for Sedona with a side trip to Flagstaff - good to know its a college town, cuz I didn't know this.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Okay we have decided on Sedona - Now we have to decide which INN - I like Boots and Saddles but I am totally in awe of Cathedral Hideaway for some reason but I think it will be Boots and Saddles.

Thanks again for your opinions

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
52,856 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

Either one would be a good choice. As nice as both places are, it's not really about the inn or the room. It's about being in Sedona.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 50th Anniversary -Sedona or Flagstaff where to stay

We stayed at Boots and Saddles last September and are going back this May. We loved it! The rooms are beautifully decorated, the breakfasts are great, and the owners are the nicest people. They go above and beyond to make sure your Sedona experience is the best it can be.