We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Hoping to get some thoughts on my October 19-27 itinerary in Arizona, including 2.5 days in Sedona. We are 4 women in a mid-20's, love hiking and backpacking and good food and drinks. Hoping to get particular advice on if we've picked a good variety of hikes to see the highlights of the area, restaurants we've selected, and if I'm trying to cram too much into our days (whoops, so much beauty, so little time!)! Any other suggestions, better replacements for things I have planned, or advice welcome :)

Friday: flight into Phoenix, rent car, purchase food supplies for camping and snacks, drive to Sedona and check into Sky Ranch Lodge

Saturday: 8am Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour (should we do the 3 hour one with the Mogollon rim or is our time better spent with the rest of the things on our itinerary?), hike soldier pass trail, snacks/picnic for lunch, hike bell rock or cathedral rock if time?, then back to our hotel to freshen up for dinner at Elote

Sunday: up early, hike Boynton Canyon and Devils Bridge, late lunch at Tii Gavo (Is ik ok to be a little sweaty? Should we bring clothes to change into? Need reservation?), walk around Tlaquepaue village for an hourish if time?, hike cathedral rock or bell rock if time?, hang out at Red Rock Crossing for sunset with a bottle of local wine (suggestions for a not too expensive not too dry local wine?) and some snacks. If we hiked Cathedral Rock we were thinking we could hike from Cathedral Rock to RRC for sunset and then back out to our car at the Cathedral Rock Trailhead with headlamps?

Monday: sunrise at Airport Mesa or Airport overlook (which one?), breakfast at Mesa Grill (or somewhere else? Preferably on our way out via Oak Creek Canyon), drive Oak Creek Canyon, stopping at overlooks, hike west fork trail, stop at the DQ and overlook for Native American vendors, we were thining of Indian Gardens for lunch on our way out but it looks like that is south of the West Fork Trailhead, meaning we'd have to backtrack our way out of Sedona- is it worth it? Do they do take out food that we could get for later, or should we just stop somewhere else, or perhaps stop there instead of Mesa Grill for breakfast and get a later lunch/dinner on the road? From here we drive to Peach Springs for a night at Hualapai Lodge.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: hike into Havasupai, explore falls, hike back out and drive to GCNP Thursday afternoon, camp at Mather Campground Thursday and Friday night.

Friday: Sunrise at Yaki point and hike Kaibab 3-4 hours or sunrise on the Kaibab trail (perhaps getting up early enough to try to make it to Ooh Aah Point for sunrise?), grab lunch somewhere (suggestions for fast, inexpensive lunch?) and then take the Hermit Road shuttle, walking between and stopping at various points (any points in particular recommended to stop or walk between?), then shuttle back to El Tovar, walk past El Tovar east for sunset, then back to El Tovar for drinks/apps for dinner, walk the rim again after dark for some stargazing.

Saturday: start driving from Mather to Desert Watchtower between 6 and 6:30, stop at view points and Watchtower before driving down to Phoenix, leaving by 9:20 to make one friends 3:20 flight, drop off rental car after dropping her, then the rest of our flights leave later that evening.

Whew! Thanks for making it through that! I love the TA forums, so thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

18 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Do you have a permit for Havasu Falls or do you have a guided tour planned?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

We have a permit.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,573 posts
249 reviews
3. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Slow down. Be flexible. Your plan is aggressive and it’s doubtful that you’ll do it all. Allow yourselves to adjust to the high desert environment before you enter the marathon.

Take the longer Jeep tour. You’ll see things that you’d otherwise miss.

Do not attempt to hike from RRC to Cathedral Rock TH in darkness.

Have breakfast at Indian Garden Cafe on your transition day. Then hike Westfork. Have lunch in Seligman at Westside Lilos.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Hi RedRocks, thanks for your thoughts. I do like to have somewhat of an agressive schedule when I travel. I figure while I’m young and have plenty of energy, I enjoy it! But I also know I need to be realistic, flexible, and enjoy our time over rushing from thing to thing. What would you recommend cutting out of my current plan?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,573 posts
249 reviews
5. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Keep your plan. Just go with the flow. I’m won’t prioritize anything at Sedona other than Red Rock Crossing. And your time at Enchantment will be special.

Relax. Don’t rush off to do something else when you’re enjoying where you are. Some of the best vacation memories and experiences are unplanned.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
570 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

RedRox, what I've learned from caring for families with kids is they travel differently than we older people do. They are fast n furious when vacationing, and go for the bursts of sampling all kinds of experiences. Vacations are not so much bout R&R or unwinding but seeing/doing as many attractions as possible.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

RR- will definitely prioritize RRC at sunset! At Enchantment restaurant for lunch, will we be out of place in our hiking clothes? Will we need a reservation? Thanks for the reminder, I like to plan, plan, plan ahead of time so I have all my options and ideas organized and laid out, but find that once I'm on the trip I've been getting better and better at being flexible and going with the flow of vacation. :)

And SedonaNanny- Just depends on the type of trip I'm taking! I spent a week in Jamaica the past year with my family and I was perfectly content and happy to relax on the beach, sip drinks at the pool bar, walk on the beach, and relax with my family. For this trip, I want to hike and do! It's not about checking as many things off a list that I can. I find it exciting and rejuvenating to hike and adventure and go in new places like Arizona, especially when I'm coming from Minnesota and will be close to be getting ready for a long winters nap ;)

Although I know there is personal preference in this question, but I've always found TA folks to have good personal preferences: would still love to hear any suggestions of things to prioritize over others based on time! Are there any days in particular that look the most problematic that I should be prepared to simplify?

Edited: 17 September 2018, 11:24
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,573 posts
249 reviews
8. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Hiking duds are acceptable at TiiGavo, especially on the patio. Dirt, not so much. Nice washrooms as you enter the lobby.

See how you feel after Devils Bridge. That will be more crowded. Hiking around Sedona isn’t so much about where you go, or achieving a summit or endpoint, as it is about how much time you spend there. Boynton would be my preference that morning.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

Thanks RedRocks! I typically tend to do one longer day hike when I travel to outdoor destinations, so I had no idea how much time all of these short 1-2 mile hikes would take up.

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Thoughts on my October Itinerary

The only thing I would mention is that Sedona has become very busy compared to what it use to be. There is only one main road after you pass through the main city area on your way to west fork. So be very attentive to checking google maps traffic because sometimes with busy weekends just 1 accident can have you stuck for hours and if you catch it while leaving west fork you can go back up to flagstaff AZ and take the less longer way back to your hotel or Airport. Phoenix to and from Sedona is a very accident prone highway. Also west fork only accepts cash and its very shaded so bring a jacket as the temp drops a lot.if On the weekends you can easily miss the turn into west fork but also have to wait in line for a spot to open up to park as they are limited. Indian gardens is my favorite if you get there early enough hope you can get a backyard table where the vines cover the walls and lights are strung. The shops are kinda boring in my opinion and only 1 would appeal to a 20 something.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 11:18
Reply to: Thoughts on my October Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted