We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mago Spa Resort

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Mago Spa Resort

Has anyone been here? I thought it might be nice to go for a couple of nights just to relax. I will be gong to Sedona in January. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

1. Re: Mago Spa Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 December 2016, 13:34
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,168 posts
798 reviews
2. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Boy, this is a toughie. Although the area is nice, I would really read their Website very thoroughly before you decide. There are several restrictions on guest activities and some set rules to follow. It also just sounds to me like a group who will want you to donate $$. If you read through very thoroughly and you agree with their philosophy of spirituality, enlightenment and holistic ideas then by all means go ahead and try it. You would certainly be with others having a similar life philosophy and that is just fine. You will also be far away from any other Sedona sights and likely stuck out there for your 2 days because driving out there and back is rough and time consuming.

**The one specific caution I have is that Mago is at the end of a rough and narrow dirt road...a 30 minute drive down a poorly maintained forest service road. That is important because you cannot take a rental car, even a 4WD, on any such forest service road without a written and $$ waiver. If anything happens, all the expenses will be on you and you will have a black mark on your computerized rental car records.

The following is copied directly from the Website:

"Driving down Bill Gray Road for the first time can feel challenging; however, it can also be an invigorating experience. Let yourself flow with the natural vibration of the drive and take in the beautiful scenery around you.

Bill Gray Road is an unpaved forest service road. The road is bumpy. You may see several narrow paths to your right and left, but do not go down them. Stay on main road, which is the widest main path.

When you enter the unpaved road, set your travel odometer to 0.0. It will take 10.8 miles to drive to the retreat center—if you drive 25 mph, it will take 35 minutes. Although you may have only driven a few miles, it can feel like you have been driving a long time. Keep checking your odometer to see where you are on the road."

Edited: 16 December 2016, 13:47
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
3. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Don't expect to relax and do your own thing. Margo is a structured retreat and it's driven by profit. The fact that it's way out away from anything else and not easy to get to or from, works in their favor.

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we will have a rental car.

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Thanks. Have you been there? I thought I might like taking Yoga and meditation classes. There was no formal program when I was going so I will probably skip it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
6. Re: Mago Spa Resort

There are plenty of other yoga/meditation options in Sedona. More convenient and less costly.

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Thanks. I decided to skip it and just visit Sedona.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,168 posts
798 reviews
8. Re: Mago Spa Resort

I think you will be glad to have made that choice. There are so many other wonderful places to visit, spas and "on-the-pavement" retreats, yoga classes etc. that are so much easier to get to and away from. You will see when you get to Sedona what a relaxing yet stimulating place it can be...quite a contradiction, yes? But you will see. Please enjoy yourself.

You could look at this TA discussion/review thread and see what you think:

Vortex Yoga Hiking In Sedona - Tours

202 Reviews

#2 of 76 Spas & Wellness in Sedona

Certificate of Excellence

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Mago Spa Resort

Thanks so much MaryEllen

10. Re: Mago Spa Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2017, 16:16