We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Which Phoenix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa cruz
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

I found a cute little vacation rental in the Tempe-Mesa "Greateer Phoenix" area. I've never been to Arizona, and am specifically looking for a property with a private pool, as I really want to spend a good chunk of my time floating about in the water!

The owner responded and said that while the temperature would be great during my planned time, she "wasn't sure" about the temperature of the pool and whether it would be warm enough.

She doesn't have a pool heater, so now I'm not sure whether one is necessary at this time of year - does anyone know whether a pool heater is needed for late September? And if the pool isn't heated, anyone know what the temp of the pool might be on its own?

thanks much!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Good question! I'm thinking a pool without a heater will still be swimmable in late September. Certainly be okay to float on a lounger. Hopefully someone with a pool of their own will answer - my experience is only with condo pools.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Our pool has a solar cover. It stays warm through October. However without the cover the water temperature would be low 80s at best in late September. If that's swimmable for you, then you'll be OK. If Santa Cruz is CA then maybe it would be. I prefer closer to 90. The very low humidity in the desert makes you cold when you get out of the water.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Most people in the Phoenix area without heated pools, only go swimming when the air temperature is above 100. It can also make a difference as to how many hours the sun hits your pool and of course your tolerance to cold. It is difficult to predict the weather in Phoenix. I would want a pool heater for late September.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Just a note on your rental - make sure you are renting from a reputable source. There is a place called Sunbelt Vacations that's horrible for renting houses. Unless you are renting from the sole owner, check the Better Business Bureau first.

As for the pool, it depends on your individual tolerance, as well as the weather outside, and how much shade the pool gets in the afternoon. Our pool used to get a lot of afternoon shade, and was quite chilly in late September, whereas a friend's pool got full sun all day long, and was much warmer even late in the season.

If you want to spend a lot of time in the pool, and you want to be on the safe side, I would simply stay at a resort that has a heated pool. The Westin Kierland has a lazy river, as does JW Marriott Desert Ridge, and they both heat them when the water gets too cold. That's my personal preferred way to spend the day in the pool - lounging in my tube, floating by waterfalls on the lazy river, drink in hand. ;)

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

Forgot to add - one more resort with a lazy river is the Pointe Squaw Peak. I believe they heat it; call to be sure. Their service isn't nearly as good as the other two I mentioned, however, but their prices are generally cheaper.

6. Re: phoenix/tempe/mesa in late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 18:25