We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona road trip

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Arizona road trip

Hi all! I am planning an Arizona/Vegas road trip with my daughter (almost 12) at the end of June. We plan to fly in to Tucson, stay 2 nights there, visit Tombstone and family. From there, I'd like to drive to Phoenix and spend one night there. After PHX, we plan to drive up to the Grand Canyon for a day, and then over to Four Corners monument for a day. The following two nights will be in Vegas.

My question is in regards to the Grand Canyon and Four Corners overnight stays... Any recommendations about where to stay that isn't totally out of the way either night? After Four Corners, I'd like to drive back towards Vegas (to break up the drive), possibly staying overnight near Page?

This will be our first time in Arizona (and Vegas!). Any must sees I should look into? We aren't hikers and I'm a little nervous it will be too hot to do much outside mid-day anyways.

16 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,608 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Arizona road trip

Four Corners is a total waste of time. There is nothing there. Closest accommodations will be 2 hours or more in the direction of LV. Give the time to Page and go no further east.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Arizona road trip

Totally agree - don't go to Four Corners. Do you have lodging at Grand Canyon? Also, what are your plans for Phoenix area?

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
593 reviews
3. Re: Arizona road trip

I can't believe it! RedBox doesn't mention Sedona😃😃😃. I wouldn't even bothering going to Page. Either try for another day in the Grand Canyon area or adding something in the Flagstaff or Verde Valley area.

What are your daughter 's interests?

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Arizona road trip

We don't have any hotels booked as of now. I figured finding something in the Tucson and Phoenix areas should be easy enough. The two nights "on the road" I am having some trouble with only because I'm not sure where we'll end up. Page seemed like a decent stopping point on the way back. I initially wanted to add Utah into the mix, but that seemed like too much. (?)

No solid plans for the Phoenix area as of now either. Normally, I'd like to go to a Suns game (we're huge Devin Booker fans), but they aren't playing in June :( I'd still like to check out the arena and the team shop if open. I've been looking at the musical instrument museum and the heard museum as daytime possibilities. We typically like to check out the downtown "business" or "hipster/artsy" areas, ride local public transit, go to a sporting event, check out local fast food/thrift stores, and shop one of the better malls. I'm also open to random roadside attractions "The Thing" and "Mystery Castle" have already caught my eye. Also considered Hole in the Rock, but unsure if it's worth it with Grand Canyon the next day. I've seen a couple people mention caverns. Is this near Phoenix?

In regards to Four Corners, it does seem that from everything I've read, the general consensus is that it should be skipped. Unfortunately we both have had this on our bucket list for some time, mostly for cheesy photos. I haven't found enough to do in Phoenix to add the extra day there. We don't plan to do much if any hiking at Grand Canyon, so I'm not sure we would need two days there. And it's too pricey to add the day in Vegas. Is there any way to make it "worth it?" Is it really deserted for two hours around there?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,608 posts
249 reviews
5. Re: Arizona road trip

Take a look at Sedona for a night or two after Phoenix and before Grand Canyon National Park. Skip Page and definitely skip 4 Corners.

Yes, getting to the landmark and back to civilization is an all day endeavor for a 5 minute photo op and a bucket list check. Otherwise it has no value and it’s nothing but deserted high desert highway for hours from GC Park to Tuba City and more hours FC and more hours back to Kayenta and hours more to Page.

If you spend that time at Sedona instead, you’ll have activities, photos and memories beyond what you can imagine.

Save the 4 Corners for a trip that brings you a little closer for a longer time. Durango and Mesa Verde NP would be a good 5-7 day vacation with a partly wasted day to the state’s intersection.

DeForest, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Arizona road trip

RedRox is absolutely correct. Spend a couple of nights in the Sedona area. I also really enjoy Jerome but it's not for everyone. Plenty of hiking, outdoor activities, shopping, and relaxing to be found in Sedona area.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
999 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Arizona road trip

I agree that Four Corners is not particularly exciting, but if you want to say that you've been there, go for it. You can take a picture of the marker on the ground with your foot in all four states. The nearest accommodations are actually 40 minutes away in Cortez, Colorado.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,608 posts
249 reviews
8. Re: Arizona road trip

Cortez is the opposite direction from Las Vegas. That’s why I encourage saving FC for a future vacation.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
9. Re: Arizona road trip

My recommendation would be to skip four corners for now too. On the way to GCNP you will pass far better places to visit. Consider pushing back your GCNP trip a day or two and spending the time you would spend way out in the NE part of the state exploring those areas instead. A nice road trip is through Prescott into Jerome /Cottonwood/Clarkdale and onto Sedona/Page Springs. Lots of scenery, history, shopping , and eats.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 08:54
United States
Level Contributor
554 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Arizona road trip

When I was 16 years old, an older guy about 22 told me about his cross country trip, how he slept in the desert, and how he sat on four states at Four Corners. At the time I thought that was a cool thing to do.

We have photos of each of us sitting on the four states that I now enjoy looking at from 20 years ago.

We did a quick stop after leaving Cortez,, then went to Monument Valley, then Moab.

I agree that it doesn't make sense when traveling from Tucson to Vegas.

We went from Tucson to Prescott for a beer at a huge bar, thru Jermone to Sedona on a different trip.

Reply to: Arizona road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted