We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

Hi! We’re arriving in Phoenix tomorrow morning and would like some suggestions for where to stop for lunch before we get on the highway to head to Sedona. Open to any type of cuisine, just good atmosphere and food. If it’s not too hot to sit on a patio would love outdoor seating as we are coming in from Toronto and welcome the warmer weather. I think we are taking the I-17 up to Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
12 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

If you truly want to eat "before" you get on the highway, you will need to eat at the airport. The trip to Sedona has you immediately getting on the highway after the airport. The airport has very good options if you are in Terminal 4.

If you are looking to eat something on the way to Sedona, try JoyRide Taco or Postino on Central, House of Tricks (not exactly in the right direction but close to the airport), Chelsea's Kitchen, and Cibo. There are lost of restaurants but I find these the most interesting but still fast so you can get on the road right away.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Postino
Postino
159 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
House of Tricks
House of Tricks
824 Reviews
Tempe, AZ
Chelsea's Kitchen
Chelsea's Kitchen
910 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

Thanks DB! We don’t mind doing a bit of a detour since we are fine taking our time to get to Sedona. Definitely want to get out of the airport area

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

If you want to get completely out of Phoenix, you might want to stop for a leisurely lunch and pie for dessert at Rock Springs Cafe. It is about an hour from the airport.

http://rocksprings.cafe/

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Rock Springs Cafe
Rock Springs Cafe
781 Reviews
Black Canyon City, AZ
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

If you don't mind taking a detour then take 51 north to 101 west to Cave Creek exit out to Cave Creek and have lunch at Tonto's and eat on their patio overlooking the golf course if weather permits.

http://www.tontobarandgrill.com

Edited: 12 May 2018, 08:52
Mentioned in this post
Cave Creek
Cave Creek
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

I recommend going up 16th street from the airport and trying out Richardson's/Rokerij for lunch. You haven't shared any interests though. Mexican? Italian? A deli? The Central area north of the airport along Central Avenue, 7th street, Camelback, etc. is rife with all kinds of restaurants and not bad for getting back on the highway and on your way.

Mentioned in this post
Richardson's
Richardson's
344 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Scottsdale Camelback Resort
Scottsdale Camelback...
1,057 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

We’re open to any cuisine, Mexican, bbq, good sandwiches and salads. We will be going for Italian that evening so probably want something different for lunch

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,429 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

Agreeing that eating at Sky Harbor is really the only way to dine before driving.

Rock Springs Cafe at exit 242 is a popular (nearly) half way point off I-17. I love it if for nothing more than the pies and historic charm. Several posters have recently been recommending Nora’s Cafe at the same exit in Black Canyon City.

Mentioned in this post
Rock Springs Cafe
Rock Springs Cafe
781 Reviews
Black Canyon City, AZ
Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

No, don't eat at Rock Springs Cafe. The only reason we have been recommending it was the location and reputation for their pie (WHICH IS NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY). I am not going to continue recommending that place. You want something better, then check out the other places recommended by us on the internet, read the menus, check out the venue online and decide for yourself. You said you were in no rush and wanted to get out of the airport area, so make it special and enjoy your experience.

Mentioned in this post
Rock Springs Cafe
Rock Springs Cafe
781 Reviews
Black Canyon City, AZ
Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

To clarify there is nothing wrong with the food at Rock Springs Cafe - just not my favorite. Recently several others chimed in a post agreeing.

Mentioned in this post
Rock Springs Cafe
Rock Springs Cafe
781 Reviews
Black Canyon City, AZ
Toronto, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona

Thanks! I’ve looked at it and we are looking for something a bit nicer in town before we head out. We are going to try joyride tacothat someone suggested above. Thanks for the input everyone!

Reply to: Restaurant for lunch en route to Sedona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted