We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimpton or Camby?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
400 reviews
Save Topic
Kimpton or Camby?

Hello! We are a family of 3 spending Spring Break in Arizona March 2019, spending the last night of our trip in Phoenix before we drop off our rental car at the aitrport and fly home the next day. I’ve narrowed it down to these 2 hotels, which seem to both be downtown and at similar cost. Which one would you suggest? And why? I saw the Camby has easy access to the airport - does the Kimpton? Possible interests are visiting Heard Museum, horseback ride in the desert, and dinner at Capital Grille to celebrate my husbands birthday. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Camby, Autograph Collection
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

The Palomar is closer to the airport than the Camby and the it is also on the light rail which you can use to access the airport if you chose to drop off the rental the night before your flight. Either hotel is close enough to the Heard that I wouldn't make that a consideration.

Dinner at the Capital Grille is across the street from the Camby. If you would like to some suggestions of some place other than a chain restaurant there are some other nice restaurants that you might want to consider.

Horseback riding will not be found in the city. You will need to head out to Cave Creek or Scottsdale for that.

Mentioned in this post
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Cave Creek
Cave Creek
Central Arizona, AZ
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

The Camby is not downtown. The Kimpton Palomar is. The Heard Museum is accessible by light rail, should you choose the Palomar. Durant's is a renowned local steakhouse that is not a chain and is also on the rail line. Visit the Capital Grille in Durham.

Mentioned in this post
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Durant's
Durant's
725 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Thanks y’all! Probably not interested in the light rail, as we will be needing our rental car to get to Ponderosa Stables for our trail ride the morning we arrive in Phoenix. I was mainly inquiring about the differences between the 2 hotels and ease/time of getting to the airport in the morning. We do not have a Capital Grille in Durham, but thanks! Anyone have a strong preference between the 2 hotels themselves?

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
984 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

My mistake. It's in Raleigh, not Durham, 4242 Six Forks Rd.

https:/…8061

Edited: 13 May 2018, 06:30
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

I haven't stayed in either but have been to both. The Palomar is closer to the rental car return but you can walk to The Capital Grille from The Camby (which was originally a Ritz-Carlton) saving the drive back and forth that evening. What time is your flight for an idea of traffic conditions from Camelback/24th St in the morning?

Mentioned in this post
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Scottsdale Camelback Resort
Scottsdale Camelback...
1,055 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Thanks aztchr! I haven’t booked our flights yet, but I’m looking at an 11:00 am flight on Sunday, March 17th.

I’m leaning towards The Camby if there’s no big difference between the two. We’re Ritz/Marriott members so the price is pretty close. I do like the idea of being able to walk across the street to let my daughter do a bit of shopping, and then let my steak eater husband have a nice birthday dinner at The Capital Grille, which seems to have enough things that our daughter and I can eat on the menu as well.

Mentioned in this post
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Kimpton Palomar would be my selection for me. Its newer and more upscale. When the Camby was the Ritz Carlton, it was great. But its lost it's charm when they lost the Ritz connection. As for food, Durants is amazing, old school and classic. Cannot be found anywhere else. But Capital Grill can be. Capital can be visited in 57 other locations. Same owner as Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse and Bahama Breeze.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/durants-phoenix

Mentioned in this post
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Departure on a weekend day will be easy with no rush hour to deal with. Biltmore Fashion Park is lovely to walk through unlike downtown Phoenix. I enjoy The Capital Grille and have always received excellent service and meals. I personally don't like driving at night in unfamiliar territory so would prefer The Camby if you're set on dinner there.

Mentioned in this post
Biltmore Fashion Park
Biltmore Fashion Park
55 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Thank you! After a week of hiking in Sedona, The Grand Canyon, Page, and Flagstaff, relaxed, easy and convenient is exactly what I’m after! I did not want to rush from Sedona to catch our flight out of Phoenix, and had hoped to find a cute hotel not too far away to be able to relax by the pool in warmer weather. I had considered eating dinner at the hotel, but then saw there was a mall with a nice restaurant just a walk through a tunnel across the street from the Camby, so that seemed to be a good idea. I had looked at the other steak restaurant everyone keeps suggesting months ago, as well as several others, but wanted dinner that night to be nice, but also as convenient as possible.

Then my daughter requested horseback riding in the desert, so I thought we could do that on the morning we arrive, since most hotels have a 3:00 pm check in time. Then I thought it would be nice, if we had time before check in, to check out Heard Museum and grab lunch there. There goes my relaxing by the pool day!

What time would you suggest leaving to drop off the rental car that morning if we can get a good price on the 11 am flight home? I was thinking 8:00 am, since I’ve read it can take an hour to get from the rental car center to the airport via their shuttle, and that you should be at the airport 2 hours prior to your flight. Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
The Camby, Autograph...
332 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Heard Museum
Heard Museum
2,518 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kimpton or Camby?

Expect 15-20 minutes drive to rental car facility. The airport is busy during March, but I would think 8am would leave you plenty of time. We usually allow 1 1/2 hours before departure and always have time to spare. There are good options to grab a bite before your long flight home so maybe earlier if you want a sit down meal at PHX instead of breakfast at the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Kimpton or Camby?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted