We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

I'm wondering whether people think it's worth it to include Tierra del Fuego in a 2-week trip to Patagonia. Planning to fly into Calafate, see the glaciers, do some hiking in El Chalten, and the W Trek in Torres del Paine.

But is it worth it to head over to Tierra del Fuego after? I'm trying to keep costs down (hiking will be our main activity on the rest of the trip, camping when possible). Some of the day trips from Ushuaia look nice, but expensive. Even if we splurged on one of them, are there enough others things to do/see in Tierra del Fuego to be worth going there?

So are there other places you would suggest instead?

Thanks! This forum is wonderful.

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

You don't have enough time in 14 days - don't rush El Chaltern and TdelP!

My own view is that Ushuaia feels like a transit point, great if you are heading out on an Antartica cruise not so great if you are not.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking, I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something really worth seeing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

I am not a hiker, but I hope you may get some people on TA who have hiked in Tierra del Fuego that may be able to give you some good advice about hiking in this region. Some Australian friends of mine who are very keen hikers, did hike in El Chalten and then spent some days in Ushuaia, absolutely loved it, and thought it was one of the best experiences in Argentina. I would not discard hiking in this region without more information.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

We spent 4 full days in Ushuaia and loved the place and the feeling of being at the end of the world. It is so beautiful, especially the Beagle Channel. Go for a boat trip on the Beagle Channel to Estancia Haberton. Do a day trip to Tierra del Fuego National Park - scenically very,very good and very different to either El Calafate or TdP. Or spend a day visiting Lago Escondida and Fagnano to see something of the interior.

Our pictures are here:

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/…index.html

Christchurch
Level Contributor
44 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

Ushuaia is scenically completely different to the other areas you are going to and it's quite beautiful in its own right. I hiked in el chalten and TDP but only did a day trip hike down in Ushuaia to tierra del fuego NP (the 3 hour coastal walk, very pretty if you're looking for something cruisy and happen to be down there), but I gather there is some great walking down there and it will likely to be considerably less busy than the other two places, which don't feel remote at all as there are so many people there in summer (still lovely walking though). As someone above said,I wouldn't discard the option so readily, dig a bit more to get some advice on hiking in the TDF.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

Wonderful photos in the post by Wasleys.org.uk - thanks, really gives one a sense of what it's really like to be in Ushuaia and El Calafate, even if it was in 2008!

7. Re: Ushuaia - worth it after hiking in Chalten/Torres del Paine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Ushuaia