We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private tour guide

Erin, Canada
2 posts
private tour guide

wondering if there is such a service that offers a private driver to take my senior parents around the Mesa Arizona area. This is their first time traveling in unknown territory and don't know how to use a GPS device to get around. They don't feel comfortable driving around on their own yet. They are looking to vacation in this area as a winter get away. Any guidance would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: private tour guide

Well, there's not much to see in Mesa. It's more of a bedroom community. There are shuttles and tours that will take them to Sedona or the Grand Canyon, but I've never heard of tours for Mesa, there wouldn't be much point.

Honestly, driving here isn't hard, and you don't need to rely on GPS. The freeways and streets are fairly straightforward; avoid rush hour if possible. Just get them a good map of the greater Phoenix area. Otherwise, if they really can't drive, they'll end up spending a lot on taxi or Uber to get around, since everything is so spread out here, and public transportation is limited. There is the light rail that goes to Mesa, but it's also limited in where it goes. If your parents plan to not drive at all, then I actually recommend that they find lodging closer to Scottsdale or Phoenix.

Edited: 01 January 2018, 05:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: private tour guide

Agreeing with Hummingbird. Mesa is a nice but not a place to stay and see things, especially without a car. What types of activities or sights would they like? The best option is Uber if they insist on staying in Mesa. Also agreeing that the area is very easy to navigate. The highways and streets are well marked.

Mesa, Arizona
1 post
3. Re: private tour guide

When will they be in Mesa. Have they found someone to shuttle them around?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
462 reviews
4. Re: private tour guide

I don't know of any either except for some of the jeep Adventures of the West tours. Do they have a place to stay in Mesa? The reason I ask is that there are some RV parks in Mesa that have a lot of activities and some of them offer day trips. I just found this if they would be interested in it -

https:/…

If they are anywhere near the light rail then they could take that to the Heard Museum which they would enjoy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,354 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: private tour guide

Our world would be easier to navigate without GPS. Are your folks able to read maps?

Agreeing that Mesa is a less than exciting base. How far could they travel if we advise self touring? Must they stay in Mesa?

Reply to: private tour guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mesa
Recent Conversations