We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this fair and reasonable?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Is this fair and reasonable?

Hello, I'm thinking of booking a private guide. I have been quoted US$290. This is what it includes:

Day 1

- collection from airport (Argentinian side)

- 5 hour tour of the Argentinian falls

- drop off at hotel on Argentinian side.

Day 2

- collection from our hotel

- 7.5 hour tour of Brazilian falls and the bird park

- drop off at our hotel on Brazilian side.

- they will handle the cross from Argentina to Brazil.

Day 3

- collection from our hotel at the right time and transfer to airport on Brazilian side.

No tickets or meals are included.

If we were to do this ourselves using taxis how much would it cost? We are staying downtown on both sides. I understand there are places at the entrances to the falls on both sides where we can store our luggage or would it be better to go to our hotels first to drop our bags off before heading to the falls? I’m just trying to weigh up whether the convenience of it all outweighs the cost.

Thanks for your help.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

The Falls is the trip in Argentina where I would least consider a tour to be worth the money. Taxis are ubiquitous and safe, busses are easy to usebetween the towns and the Falls, the Falls entrances do have lockers, the paths are so very well marked and easy to follow....

Of course, if you usually take tours and feel more comfortable doing that - well that's a personal choice. But I would think of it as a waste of money.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

Thank you for your reply. If we were to do it ourselves would it be best to go straight to the falls on the Argentinian side as we arrive at 10:55AM Cataratas Del Iguazu (IGR) from BA or go to our hotel first, check in and then go to the falls? If so, how much would it cost in a taxi to do the drop at the hotel and then on to the falls? Also how much is a taxi from the falls to downtown Puerto Iguazu? Then the next morning can you please advise how much a taxi would charge to take us from our hotel across to Brazil to our hotel in Foz do Iguacu and then the cost of the trip to IGU from Foz do Iguacu? In other words, all the trips I'm going to need. I'm doing my sums :) Thank you in advance.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

There are many recent reports of people who have done the Falls on their own without a hitch. It's very simple and not worth a tour unless you want a description of every single bird you see.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

Is it best to go straight to the falls from IGR if staying in Puerto Iguazu? We are arriving at 10:55AM? It seems as though we're doubling back if we go to our hotel first...

Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

I believe there are lockers to store luggage at the falls. We did the falls on our own,took about 4-5 hours. Loved it. It was nice to do it in our time. There are things like boat ride and trek you can pay for with a guide there.

6. Re: Is this fair and reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Iguazu National Park