We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Culver City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

I would love to hear from anybody if is it possible (not too expensive) to go to Buenos Aires and also to Machu-Pichu. I am planning to go in July 2011 (for 11 days). I live in LA, CA. I never been to South America and that's why my concern. Perhaps, I should just do one country for now. I know Argentina is a big country and there is so much to see. Thx

*Me pueden contestar en Español, soy bi-lingue

Paris, France
Level Contributor
568 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Well, I think you would need to define "too expensive". Really it would be easy enough for you to look for flights online to determine expense. In my mind, the bigger issue would be time. You say you have 11 days. Is travel between LA and South America included in that? If so, coming and going would use two of those days. From Lima, you will need two or three days travel time getting to and returning from Machu Picchu. You will also need about one day or night to travel between Lima and Buenos Aires or vice versa. My suggestion is that you choose either Argentina or Peru and spend all 11 days exploring one or the other country. Argentina has a lot to see and you can easily spend all 11 days in Buenos Aires.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Everything said in reply #1 is valid!!!!!!!!!!

For 11 days, definitely stick to one country. From past experience and recent posts on this forum.....it is VERY expensive to travel from Argentina to Peru or vice versa.

The first year we came to Argentina, I thought we'd do the Galapagos on the way home to Denver. Guess what.....it was cheaper to do a round trip Denver/Guayquil than fly from Ba to Quito or Guayaquil.

AND you CAN easily spend ALL the time in Buenos Aires. Believe me.....you WILL fall in love with the city and ALL it has to offer!!!!!!

Just "hunker down" and begin reading the posts on the Buenos Aires forum or the various Peru forums and then begin to ask your questions.

Cheers, Ronnie

Amsterdam, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

It is not easy to find a cheap flight from Argentina to Peru. However what you could try is to check out www.dosmanosargentina.com they also have a branch in Peru. Perhaps they could work something out for you, Its worth trying perhaps they could make a combotrip for you.If it is not possible to arrange such a thing then you should at least visit one of the countries. I travelled with dosmanos and was very satisfied with the things they offered me.

Good luck and have fun in Argentina or Peru

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Another reason to only do one country or another is that you only have 11 days. You will spend a good bit of that in travel.

Seeing Machu Picchu takes about 4 days minimum, getting from Lima to Cusco, then to Machu Picchu, visiting a day, then back to Cusco & back to Lima -- there are only flights to/from Cusco early in the day because of weather conditions (winds kick up in the afternoon), so even when you get back to Cusco, you won't be able to fly out that day. And you would be missing a lot if you just visit Machu Picchu & don't see the Sacred Valley, Lima or Lake Titicaca, or the jungle lodges, or Arequipa & the Colca Canyon.....

Each country is worth the full 11 days -- or much more! Distances are vast in South America, just like in North America. Just imagine someone wanting to visit America, and saying they want to see (for example) Washington, DC and Yellowstone National Park (or other famous desinations).

If you visit only Argentina, there is a lot to see in Buenos Aires itself, but there is also a lot more in the country to make a full trip: Iguazu Falls, Mendoza, Salta, Bariloche, Ushuaia, and much, much more.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Mostly agree with the previous answers.

That being said, if you still want to visit both Argentina and MP, check the possible itineraries and fares at www.lan.com

They fly nonstop from LA to Lima, and from Lima to Cuzco and Buenos Aires, also nonstop. You can plan a multi-city itinerary for your intended travel dates and see how much it will cost.

Despite the fact that there are many other things to see and do both in Argentina and Peru, as other posters said, I think that if you just want spend some days in BA and visit MP, it's doable in 11 days, including flights.

Hope you have a great trip.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

So this year I did not end up going to Argentina but I am looking forward to do so next year (2012) in April. I am planning to go with a friend. So I am looking for tours from LA, CA to Argentina. If anyone knows a good website or a good travel agency in LA, please let me know. I have been searching and there is so much info. out there so I am trying to narrow it down. Thx

Gracias

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

Have a look at Vantage Tours for trips to South America.

8. Re: Buenos Aires - South America- Machu Pichu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:16