We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

London
Level Contributor
164 posts
Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Turkey's lira crisis explained

https:/…world-europe-45142256

Doubt the travel agents will pass on any savings they will make by buying out the rooms at a better rate.

10 replies to this topic
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
10,291 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Doubt it as a lot of what the AIs serve is imported so it will cost them more.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Prices with tour operators are up massively for next year. So much so that we are out priced of hotels we've previously visited which is a huge shame for us!!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

chap18 could you not try diy?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Booking direct always saves money and takes very little effort if you want to stay in a hotel or appartment and explore. The tourist industry is very clued up, accommodation always happy to arrange transfers and generally it’s a stress free process at roughly half the cost. However, if you want the AI, entertainment provided holiday, not sure this is available independently.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

The collapse in the Lira should reduce some hotel prices temporarily - until inflation takes it back. You can use HotelsCombined to send an alert when a particular hotel's rates come down.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

All hotels price in euro I've found... Unless someone can find me a site to book on lira...

UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Can confirm prices for 2019 quoted now have risen sharply compared to what we paid this year.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

In response to the OP: I very much doubt it. Hotel prices are set by supply and demand for hotel beds, not currencies. Unless there's a drop-off in the number of tourists visiting Turkey or a massive recession which hits Turkish domestic tourist nuöbers, you're not likely to see prices fall.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

Demand is up in Turkey - no major incidents for a couple of years, Spanish hoteliers increased their rates, Egypt and Tunisia still subject to UK FCO warnings, etc.. Hotel rates are set in hard currencies the World over and converted on-the-fly for the buyer's convenience. Turkey is no different. The Lira depreciating dramatically will have little long-term effect.

I am paying the most I have ever paid to visit my favourite Turkish hotel in December. It may be the last time :-( Not only have rates gone up but for the first time Antalya coast hotels are charging solo-occupancy supplements across the board this winter. They must have been directed to for it to be so universal. It means I am paying almost double compared to two years ago. The last waltz....

Edited: 16 August 2018, 18:06
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels

In the last week i have tried to book direct with Regnum, Delphin and Papillon and all have stopped taking direct bookings until October.

Reply to: Will this lead to cheaper holidays booked direct with hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belek
Recent Conversations