We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY versus Package

London
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Topic
DIY versus Package

Long time lurker on this and the antalya forums - never been to Turkey.

Would like to go Summer 2018

I see many of you do DIY deals but whenever I try this it seems to come up a lot more expensive than package deals.

Is this because I have to go in school holidays ?

How long in advance do you book as I find the flights quite expensive.

Do you book the hotel first then the flights as soon as they are released.

Is the weather for a 4 and 6 year old more bearable in July or August (i.e are there differences apart from just the temp such as humidity etc)

Would be looking at the VB in particular.

many thanks in advance.

12 replies to this topic
1. Re: DIY versus Package

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2017, 01:35

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY versus Package

We often do DIY to Turkey & find the trick is to book the flight on the day they are released as, as soon as they are released & people start booking the price starts rising. When we hear the date of release I set my alarm for very early morning!

The trouble if you book your accommodation first is that there may be cheaper flights on other days, so we book the flight first then look for accommodation.

Barnsley
Level Contributor
112 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY versus Package

Hi,

As someone who does both, I can safely say DIY is ALWAYS cheaper but sometimes by not very much. Package works if you book 12 months or more in advance and have a very specific hotel/room requirement. If you're flexible on dates, length of stay and hotel and are happy with the standard room type, always do DIY.

For example, we went to the Barut Lara on package because Thomas Cook offered an early booking discount and we wanted a specific two bedroom room that none of the hotel booking sites could discount. This year, we're going to the VB twice, booked both sets of flights and accommodation separately and repeat guest privilege should sort the room. We went to Cape Verde in Feb and had to do a package cos the flights are only with package operators. .

Hope that helps. Happy hunting.

Cheers

Steve

PS. As an aside, CV is not in same league as Belek!!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY versus Package

I have used both package and DIY my last 3 holls have been package because they have been cheaper than DIY by quite a bit

I don't book 12 months in advance normally either it's normally more like 12 weeks before I go, I am felxable date, airport and hotel wise

TC often offer late bookings discounts but it's always a risk when booking school holls

The other thing you may wanna think about as well is the protection you get.

If doing DIY try and book flights and hotel at the same time with the same company, someone like sunshine.

You will then get the same sort of protection as a package holl

If you book the hotel at a diffrent day from the flights you don't get the same level of protection.

Prices will proberly seem dear DIY for summer 2018 becuase budget airlines have not yet released there flights

Also I note your looking at the voyage. Prices for the voyage in summer 2018 are the most I've seen for years so maybe look at a alternative hotel ?

London
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY versus Package

Thanks all.

Will have to sign up for flight alerts and price it from there.

Hoping prices in general for 2018 are going to drop down though.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY versus Package

We do both.

Set alarm for flight release day and find cheapest deal, we always go school holiday but try a be a bit flexible to get best deal. Couple of days before I check prices on all sites like sunshine, Bilyana, travel republic and email hotel direct for a price too.

Transfers with sun transfers.

Usually save a lot of money....

Currently have a Thomas cook package booked 18months in advance that gave us the date and price we wanted, might have got it cheaper diy but sometimes regnum doesn't show independently , so suited to guarantee what we wanted.

Summer is always expensive but if you have 2 smaller children you may find with free child places package might be cheaper, haggle with them or go to one of the independent travel advisors, I have used Pauline Ramsay , she saved about 8% off Thomas cook best price.

July and August are both boiling hot but I think august more humid. We go Easter and October half terms and live the nice weather.

Voyage is s great hotel 😊

London, United...
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY versus Package

fussyrobson, have you found the weather overall better in April half term or Oct half term? Summer holidays is also too hot for us.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY versus Package

We used to DIY but last year found the package with Thomas Cook cheaper as it included luggage and transfer but this April used Bilyana as they were cheaper then anything I could put together myself.

VB is an excellent choice but think July August may be too hot for the kiddies

w.mids
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY versus Package

Hi umm,

If I may...in our experience both times are similar, and quite hit and miss.

It is tempting to say that it depends if Easter is late or early, but it does'nt.Last year (very early) we had better weather than this year.(late)

That said it is always warm/hot at both times.

If you're lucky you will get 6 out of 7 good days with either.

Edited: 18 May 2017, 18:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DIY versus Package

Hi JMini,

Like you we have to go in school holidays and need a room large enough for a family of 4. We usually book a package with TC a year ahead, and find we get a good deal that way. I'll admit that I've never looked at flights on release date, but I do compare diy prices and for our needs and find they come up more expensive by the time I've added enough luggage allowance, and upgraded to a room large enough for our needs. I keep an eye on the package prices for school summer hols all year and have never yet lost out by booking so early.

We nearly always go in July and August. It is very hot but we like that! My kids have never burnt, but we all use factor 50 and still come back with a great tan. Weather to me is the most important thing and I'm happy to go when constant sunshine and high temps are more or less guaranteed!

Also if you are a regular TC customer they are very good in store at giving you a loyalty discount if you're not too shy to ask! They knocked more than £200 off our package to the VB this summer and threw in free in flight meals as well!

Em

Reply to: DIY versus Package
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted