We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
26 helpful votes
Safety

We are staying just outside Knysna in a couple of week's time with 2 x children 12/14 and we want to go out for dinner a couple of nights. My question is whether it's safe to a) drive/park and b) walk back to the car from the restaurant at around 9 -9.30pm in the evening? My husband feels we should drive/use the car as he doesn't drink and doesn't want to spend money on Uber/taxis. On the other hand, I'm worried particularly with the children and not knowing Knysna or where to park safely.

Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
783 posts
64 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety

There is plenty of parking in the town, particularly at the harbour shopping area. It's perfectly safe.

Just keep in mind to save some small change available, as the usual South African parking guys will be present wanting a couple of rand to "watch" your car.

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety

I hate to be naive about this, but what's the way to manage this situation? Should you pay people to watch your car then? How much would be appropriate and how do you know if this is safe to do?

Thanks and again, apologies if this sounds very naive...I have no clue!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
347 posts
55 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety

Yes, it is common to pay the car guards, 2 - 5 ZAR is the norm. Only pay once you come back and the car is still there. Not sure what you mean safe?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
783 posts
64 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety

Yes, as described above it's very common in SA. You pay a small sum, 2-5 ZAR, which you can pay up front or when returning to the car. It's perfectly safe and something you'll quickly get used too.

I imagine the OP is wondering about the safety, as an unofficial car park attendant collecting money to watch your car isn't a thing in the UK and would make you think something was going on. Just a cultural difference, much like pulling over onto the hard shoulder to allow vehicles to overtake. I actually liked that one. Helped keep the traffic flowing.

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety

Thank you very much for your replies. Eggy is correct - I am totally clueless about this and I just want to know what the norm is so that I don't cause offence! Where I live, if someone offered to look after my car for money, I'd be hugely suspicious, probably report him/her to the police and park somewhere else! I'm very happy to do whatever is the norm in SA.

Thanks both...

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
260 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Safety

Which restaurants did you have in mind for dinner? We avoid those in Main Road at night. Too many people hassling us there. Plenty of safe parking everywhere else eg at the Waterfront, Cruise Cafe, Muse, Bosons, Thesen Island, Chatters etc. We don't have Uber in Knysna but there are a few taxis which you would need to pre-arrange. Rather just take your own car.

Where will you be staying? There are restaurants on both sides just out of Knysna. All will have parking.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 22:22
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Safety

I have also noticed groups of sullen looking youths hanging out on Main St.

London
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
26 helpful votes
8. Re: Safety

Hi and thank you for your response. We are staying at the Alexander Boutique suites and we have a reservation at The Olive Tree for one night and hopefully at Le Marquis for another night (although waiting to hear about that one). They have recommended on our 3rd night that we might walk to the 2 Storey's restaurant which I think is in a hotel on the same road?

Grateful for you thoughts. I was thinking of Chatters one night - would we be able to part close by? Is it easier all round to just cab it? I've been quoted, however, R150 pp per round trip (which is quite a lot for 4 people)....or is this normal in Knysna?

Thanks very much

Edited: 02 August 2018, 00:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
47 reviews
52 helpful votes
9. Re: Safety

Last time I was there (it was a year ago... things can change), cabs were 60ZAR around town on a flat fare. You'll be a bit further out... but there's a long way from 60ZAR to 600ZAR! So I'd assume that price is a little elevated.

The cab service worked pretty well. We just asked the waiter to call when we were ready, and the driver walked in and found us at the table when he arrived. Beats standing out in the cold trying to find the random Uber VW.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Safety

just ask your accommodation to arrange a cab to take you out. You can either arrange for the driver to pick you up at a designated time or, if you want time flexibility, just ask the restaurant to call a cab to take you back. This is very usual in SA .

If one of you is prepared to forgo alcohol , the most convenient method is to drive to the restaurant.

We had a very enjoyable evening at the Phantom Eco Lodge, to watch the red sunset over the Lagoon was beautiful. However, I don't know if they always allow non guests to dine or if we just lucky as our guesthouse made the booking on our behalf.

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Knysna