We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area to stay for us?

Boston...
Level Contributor
960 posts
40 reviews
best area to stay for us?

I am bringing my 19 yr old son for a visit in January -- we were thinking of basing ourselves in camps bay ? but I was wondering if it might be better to be more central ?- I will probably have a car and would want to do some wine touring, see Robben island, district 6 museum, boulders beach table mountain, etc--

if there are other places that might be better to stay in I am all ears (or eyes in this case )

thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
980 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: best area to stay for us?

With a car all good places are good enough, whether it’s Camps bay, the waterfront or Gardens. You’d still need to drive to all the different attractions. You need to look at other factors, such as proximity to beach, good restaurants, nightlife, etc.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
237 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: best area to stay for us?

Hi Spinny

Given you have a car, Camps Bay is not a bad option. However bear in mind that the school term starts 9 January so prior to that the beach road on Camps Bay/Clifton is incredibly conjested during the school holidays December/January.

You could also consider Green Point or Sea Point areas.

The roads in and around Cape Town are in excellent condition and well sign posted.

Enjoy our beautiful city.

cape town
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: best area to stay for us?

In Jan Camps Bay is usually cramped and getting in and out by car can be a nightmare. Seapoint, Green Point and the VA Waterfront are the better options.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: best area to stay for us?

I agree ... Sea Point, Green Point or V&A Waterfront are better areas for your visit. 3 Anchor Bay and Mouille Point also fall within the above three areas (in case you come across those suburbs when you search). You will have the promenade to wander (or run) along if you stay in any of these areas and that is always a pleasure.

You can always drive to Camps Bay to see the beautiful beach there and have a meal at a restaurant along the sea front if you like. But best you rather stay in any of the abovementioned areas.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
5. Re: best area to stay for us?

Camps Bay is a great option and I would personally stay there as a tourist if I was visiting the city. It can be congested during certain days and times as mentioned above but use Google Maps to find different routes to get in and out of the area quickly. Other good options: Bantry Bay, Mouille Point and the nice part of Seapoint. I say go with Camps Bay, you won't be disappointed!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
122 reviews
6. Re: best area to stay for us?

Camps Bay is gorgeous, but very limited in what you can do or see. I'd suggest maybe staying for 2-3 nights so you can experience the area, spend time at the beach and restaurants/shops. That being said, a 19 year old boy may not have a great time shopping everyday lol so in that case, I would try to base yourselves near Waterfront (or in if you can find a good, affordable hotel), downtown or in Sea Point.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,731 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: best area to stay for us?

I stayed for a week in Hout Bay and , having a car, found it as good as base as any. It was also noticeably less expensive than Camps Bay.

Reply to: best area to stay for us?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted