We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Opening

Suburban D.C.
Level Contributor
35 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Opening

My wife and I will arrive in Cape Town on the afternoon of December 31 and stay until January 6.

I planned to use the Ho-Ho bus on New Year's day and the next day. Will many venues be closed?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
2 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
251 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Opening

I’m afraid so; perhaps confirm with specific venues in advance, whether they plan to be open.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Opening

I'm not sure New Year's Day is a good day to do the HOHO off bus. Museums will be closed, Camps Bay will be heaving! The waterfront will be open but many other restaurants and cafes will be closed. The wineries will be closed in Constantia too I think.

Many years ago now I was in Cape Town on New Year's Day and we went to Kirstenbosch and then had a picnic in the grounds. Table Mountain is also open.

On 2nd January Tweede Nuwe Jaar Cape Minstrals parade happen in the ciy centre, which does mean some road closures. The HOHO may therefore have to alter its route around the city centre area.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Table Mountain
Table Mountain