We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day safari near Cape Town

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
One day safari near Cape Town

I am visiting next January and want to see a cheetah. I understand there is a kind of rescue rehabilitation place nearby. Does anyone know what it’s like? Also is there a reasonable 1 day safari close by too. I am only there for 3 days. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

no Place to see really proper wild animals near Cape Town well the big cats anyway .I would not go to a rescue centre Just my opinion .though a trip to the cape Point you can see some buck and smaller creatures and Baboons

Hout Bay, South...
Level Contributor
718 posts
1 review
2. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

No point in seeing a Cheetah in a rehab place. The whole idea is to see it in the wild and there are no parks within one day of Cape Town. Aquila Lodge is about 140 km from Cape Town, and that will not be enough time for you .As above TA post mentions, try Cape Point with your limited time available.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

There ARE parks close enough for a 1-day trip.

Aquila is one option, with cheetahs. 2 hours from the city.

Another is Inverdoon - a bit further out (3 hours drive) but the drive and landscape are much nicer than Aquila, and it is a much larger reserve. They have a rehab programme for cheetahs with no human interaction, stroking cubs etc. i.e. it's more authentic.

Neither of these is a real safari but they offer the option of seeing wild animals.

You leave the city at around 6,30 am and return around 18:00 - perfect in January as the days are long.

5 posts
4. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

The is a rehabilitation place in Somerset West

http://www.cheetah.co.za/

But this is not a safari place

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

And it isn't a genuine rehab place. They offer interactions which does not fit in with rehabilitation of wild animals at all.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

A good day trip safari from Cape Town can be suggested for Inverdoorn Private Game Reserve. A close 3hr drive from Cape Town and you can also book an all inclusive package which will include return transfers + 2hr30min game drive & meals. There vehicles is also small and will seat about 9 passengers at a time.

All the best!

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours & Safaris

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
43 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

There is a rehab centre in Somerset West (about 50 km from the city centre). I have read some bad reviews about it, but have also heard some very great reviews personally.

I think seeing these wonderful animals in the wild is always better, but if you are interested check out the Cheetah sancutary in Somerset West.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
8. Re: One day safari near Cape Town

I took relatives to Inverdoorn who had never been on a safari, and they were very excited with what they saw. Obviously it's not the same as a game park, but the private reserve is large enough to almost give that impression. There are lions, cheetahs, elephant, buffalo, white rhinos, and several species of antelope. Most of all they were excited to see the giraffes.

A surprise on the way back through the mountains was to see a troop of baboons with their babies.

Reply to: One day safari near Cape Town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted