We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cage Dive

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cage Dive

Hey guys,

Going to be in cape Town this June and would like to do a cage dive, just having trouble sorting through what's good and what's not.

We're looking for somewhere that's drivable from capetown in one day, and cheap as possible as we are backpackers without much money. (Do appreciate the concept of getting what one pays for but still...)

Also if it matters, we are certified scuba divers.

Any suggestions for operators or reliable places to look would be very much appreciated. Thank you:)

6 replies to this topic
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cage Dive

You would need to book with one of the shark cage operators based by Gansbaai.. They provide the shuttle rides between Cape Town and Gansbaai, and the cost is R1600 - about $125 - $130PP for the shuttle + the shark cage dive.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 01:21
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cage Dive

All the operators in gansbaii seem to charge significantly more even without the shuttle, any suggestions?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
235 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cage Dive

You can also go from Simon's Town, have a look at ASEC, normally June is good for sharks there but there has been a decline the past couple of years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cage Dive

We were booked togo with Apex out of Simon's Town (approx 1 hour drive from CT) and unfortunetely they haven't been seeing much activity (as of early May).

They sent us on to Marine Dynamics in Gaansbaii which was a longer drive (approx 2 hours) but well worth it! We saw 7 different Great White's and some Bronze Whalers. We didn't need to suba dive for this dive - but if youlook around at other providers you might find someone who will let you. Price was good - we drove ourself. Highly recommend getting down there!!

Ask them, but they said that by June they might move the cage diving from the beach side to Shark Alley. Shark activity apparently picks up around there in June / July. May was too early, so we were diving on the sand flats nearby which has slightly poorer visibility...

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cage Dive

Hiya

So I have been listening to travelling podcasts to get an idea of what I can do, one of them commented saying there was a day scuba trip where you see the otters and some smaller sharks without the cages. Does anyone know anything of these trips as I cannot find any information on this?

Many thanks

Clo

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cage Dive

I booked to go on a cage dive 24th of May this year with Great White Sharjk Tours that operate out of Gansbaai. However, a couple of days prior to the dive they informed me that no sharks had been spotted in the area in more than a week. Thus the dive was cancelled. They were decent enough to give me a full refund. The reason for the diappearance of the sharks was that orcas had been spotted in the area and the orcas kill everything including sharks so all of the Great Whites had escaped to safer waters. Real bummer.

Reply to: Cage Dive
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted