We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed trap

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Speed trap

The speed limit in this sleepy self-proclaimed "ghost town" is 20 mph, 15 mph and even 10 mph on some roads. It seems like this is a set-up to cash in on the few unassuming tourists that care to venture there. Don't let the relatively empty streets, run down buildings and abandoned dwellings fool you. Around every bend is a police car ready to pull you over for doing 20 in a 15.

I had two young kids in the back seat during a recent run in with a local cop. He seemed very content with himself, grinning ear to ear while stating my that my infraction was "a criminal offense for which I could take you to jail." It didn't phase him a bit that his verbal tirade was terrifying two little girls in the back seat.

I understand these little municipalities need money but strictly enforcing a snail's pace speed limit of 15 mph - threatening jail time to tourists who drive 20 mph in a 15 - will only give itself a bad reputation and ensure that tourist dollars stay in nearby Sedona.

13 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed trap

Welcome to the forum.

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed trap

If you had children in your car I applaud the cop! The limits are there for a reason. Don't expect any sympathy here. You broke the law, you pay!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed trap

I didn't ask for your sympathy nor do I want it. I am just warning other would-be tourists to be very careful in this town.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed trap

You can't be taken to jail for going 5 over the limit. You have to be exceeding the limit by 20mph or going over 85mph in order to be considered criminal.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speed trap

I have been to Jerome, and never saw any police in, or on the way. So something had to have changed. Just knowing about so many of the blind spots, I can understand how speed limits are designed to protect pedestrians to name one example. And yes, tourists do a lot of speeding, which really becomes a nuisance for residents and those trying to enjoy the scenery.

But being a victim of overzealous police threats in my younger years, I can understand how you feel. I do not know the context or tone of the conversation you were involved in, but sounds like it was wrong.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speed trap

I agree that the low speed limits are there for a very good reason. It's not that hard to understand - there are sometimes lots of pedestrians (especially on weekends or during a festival), plus narrow streets plus blind corners equal a need for low speed limits. What's the problem, it's a very small town anyway, and it doesn't take very long to drive through it. And if you're staying there to visit or sightsee, what's the rush?

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speed trap

This just reminds me of my first experience of Jerome - it was probably in the late 1970's. We drove up from Sedona, and while my hubby drove that incredibly narrow, winding road, I just laughed and laughed - it was a combination of Knott's Berry Farm (the old buildings) and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. (Can you tell I'm from Southern California?). He actually stopped the car and asked if I wanted to do it again.

But, yes, it's always wise when traveling in a new (especially tourist) area to keep strictly to the speed limit. Just common sense.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,662 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speed trap

So, the moral to the story is to obey the posted speed limit, and be prepared for it to decrease in some areas of Jerome, right?

Travel safely,

Hunt

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speed trap

I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP was doing more than 5 mph over the limit. I also suspect he may have mouthed off to the cop if the cop REALLY DID threaten him with arrest. Maybe not, but just my suspicion, based on having visited Jerome probably a dozen times with no cop problems.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,094 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speed trap

If you're speeding through Jerome you're begging for a summons and a fine. The roads are dangerous enough, but the flow of pedestrians makes it even worse. This should be a warning to pedestrians too. Realize that 90% of the traffic is tourists who are looking everywhere but missing much, including you walking right in front of them.

Glad the policeman did his job.

Reply to: Speed trap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jerome
Recent Conversations