We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jerome arizona

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
jerome arizona

We are planning a trip to sight see Arizona and wanting some advice on places to stay in and around Jerome. Great restaurants too. I'm open to any other quaint towns farther south of there that would be fun to tour or having interesting stops nearby. Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
242 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: jerome arizona

You can add us to being partial to Jerome. We stay at our condo in Sedona but always go back to Jerome. I was told the hotel mentioned previously was in fact a insane asylum. They still have good food at the restaurant, and a view that is amazing.

I am some what surprised that no one has mentioned Paul and Jerrys, the oldest continually family owned bar in AZ.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
229 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: jerome arizona

re: whether the the Jerome Grand Hotel was an insane asylum--it was not. Jerome had a series of bigger and more technically advanced hospitals (for the times), and that building was hospital #5. Hospital buildings #3 and #4 are also still existing in town--repurposed now to artist galleries/studios and housing. When the mines were booming and those hospitals were built in the early 1900's-1920's, Jerome was the population center for the whole Verde Valley.

The restaurant in the Jerome Grand took the name The Asylum as a fun play on the original hospital use but is not rooted in fact.

Edited: 25 May 2017, 02:24
Jerome, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: jerome arizona

Hi there,

Jerome is a terrific town, if you have not been before, I would recommend spending an hour or so out at the King King Mine. It is kitschy but very enjoyable. Next on the list would be just walking around on Main St. and Hull Ave. checking out the stores and people watch. All sorts come to Jerome, especially on weekends when the small town center gets packed with people. Best place to eat is Bobby D's Barbecue. If you are a wine drinker, there are several other places to sip grapes in town. Make sure to start at post gen rock god Maynard Jame Keenan's Caduceus Cellars. Very stylish room and very good, locally/regionally grown wine. You will fine other fine local wine shops down the hill in Cottonwood, btw. The area is a hotbed of viticulture. Another fun stop is the Jerome State Historic Park and museum which occupies a former Mining baron mansion. And of course, the best reason to visit the Jerry as I call it is to take in the views across the Verde Valley to the Sedona red rocks and San Franciscan mountains which are usually snow capped for all but the warmest months.

Enjoy!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
650 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: jerome arizona

And just to add another opinion, I love Jerome, its bar, its grittiness, the feel of the place. While I would not recommend staying there more than a couple nights, it is great for touring around, and it is real Arizona, if there still is such a thing. It is totally come as you are, be as you may, do as you will and a huge amount of ambiance on top of it. Sedona is see and be seen. Jerome is see.

ZB

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: jerome arizona

Jerome gets a thumbs up. Sedona, thumbs down! Too touristy for sure!

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: jerome arizona

People who have modicum of interest in History find Jerome interesting.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: jerome arizona

People who have a modicum of interest in History find Jerome interesting.

I am not too keen on Sedona anymore (and I own a timeshare there). Between the wineries on Page Springs road and Jerome my wife and I rarely go north of Cornville now.

Reply to: jerome arizona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jerome
Recent Conversations