We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jerome arizona

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
jerome arizona

We are planning a trip to sight see Arizona and wanting some advice on places to stay in and around Jerome. Great restaurants too. I'm open to any other quaint towns farther south of there that would be fun to tour or having interesting stops nearby. Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jerome arizona

Best to stay in Sedona or Cottonwood ... I would not call Prescott, "quaint". It is however, a Interesting stopover. carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
62,290 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jerome arizona

Jerome is a great half day or day trip from Sedona. Use Sedona as a base. Lots to see and do there.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jerome arizona

My niece used to own the Ghost City Inn in Jerome so you might check it out. I never stayed there so I can't give you a first hand opinion, and it has been several years since she owned it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jerome arizona

I've stayed in the hotel in Jerome that used to be a hospital back in the day and saved the city from the plague (don't yell at me if I get my history wrong please). RedRox, this was part of a 2 night bachelorette party where we spent the other night in your beloved Sedona.

Totally a random hotel- we had lots of rooms so I got to see all the different set ups. It has the oldest elevator in the state of Arizona.. Which has a lamp in it....plugged in... even though you operate the elevator with a pulley system. There are all kinds of old medical instruments in the hallways in displays. And you do hear noises at night. All of which is fabulous if you're on a bachelorette party and you dig history, but may not be very romantic and/or spa-like- which is more what Sedona has to offer.

Edited: 22 January 2016, 05:21
Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: jerome arizona

I just want to say my husband and I took a half day trip today from Phoenix to Jerome. This is honestly one of the few towns I've ever visited that would look no worse with a serious litterbug problem. A 1.6 magnitude earthquake would knock down half the buildings, and nature would be doing itself a favor. Some of the old abandoned buildings look like insane asylums and one hotel looks like a low rent version of the one from The Shining. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live or visit here. Yet I caught a glimpse of some interesting looking art in a couple of the shops. I'm sure the ghost town legend is just to attract visitors. Ghosts must have better things to do than hang around a place that isn't even attraction-level scary.

Edited: 08 April 2016, 08:10
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jerome arizona

We always make Jerome a (somewhat less than) day trip whenever we stay in Sedona. Love the town, some of the shops, but in particular having a couple of beers in the Spirit Room while my wife shops. Yes, Jerome is a gritty town -- totally befitting an old mining town of the wild west. But fun.

Level Contributor
155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jerome arizona

OK, I'm the minority here, but I love Jerome and not so fond of Sedona. Yes, Sedona has gorgeous areas, but also has touristy-trap stuff up the wazoo and traffic issues and crowds. We're also not big desert lovers.

Whenever we are coming home to Southern California from the White Mountains, we always make a stop at Jerome. Yeah, parts are old and tacky. I love the quirky quality. Last time we stayed for three nights: the first we hit a few spots in Sedona on the way to Jerome, the second did stuff around town (our choices for this day are among galleries, the State Park -just LOVE that wire diagram of the copper mines, sometimes down to Cottonwood for a walk along the Verde River, have done the Verde Canyon train, up into Mingus Mountain for a hike). And the third day, the last day of our vacation, we just plopped down in the garden and enjoyed the peace and reading before heading back to the rat race.

What makes Jerome work for us is where we stay: the Surgeon's House. Andrea is warm, casual and friendly and a joy to be around, her breakfasts (not the usual B & B fare) are to die for, her incredible gardens a great spot to hang out in the heat of the day, and the rooms also very quirky and fun. I have to admit we always go back to Jerome because of Andrea and the Surgeon's House. But we never have trouble finding something to entertain us.

Over our our last 3 stays (over a 6-year period), we have always enjoyed the meals (and the wine flights) at Grapes.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jerome arizona

It's ok if you didn't like it, Ruth, but that's kind of harsh about the earthquake. Real people live there, you know.

Personally, I love Jerome. If you stay long enough, you'll meet some interesting and friendly people, see some nice artwork, and learn a little about Arizona's mining history. We do like the Ghost City Inn, and the next time we visit, we'll probably stay at the Surgeon's House, which is a wonderful B&B, as Barb said. Oh, and we love Grapes, too! :) The Haunted Hamburger is good and the Asylum is excellent for dinner, too.

Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: jerome arizona

Barb In So Cal, I am also in the minority -- with you -- in that I really enjoy Jerome and I'm not so fond of Sedona. But I would never post it on this forum. Did I post just now? Oops. And I also prefer Prescott (farther south of Jerome). True, there are parts of Prescott (rhymes with biscuit) that are not *quaint* such as the east side of town, for example, with all of the big box stores and the chain restaurants and also the west side of town where the 3 or 4 story hospital is located -- the hospital area is not *quaint* to my way of thinking. The downtown area around the court house, The Hassayampa Hotel with The Peacock Dining Room, and you also have the Whiskey Row -- these might not seem *quaint* to some folks but I think *quaint* is a good description. The over 70 historic buildings and historic districts within Prescott that are on the National Register Of Historic Places -- I think many of them are also quaint. Wickenburg, Arizona is on our *list* to check out -- an hour or so south of Prescott.

Edited: 08 April 2016, 11:35
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jerome arizona

I'm with Barb on this. Sedona was beautiful, but I enjoyed Jerome so much better.

Reply to: jerome arizona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jerome
Recent Conversations