We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercontinental Le Moana next week

DE
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Hello All,

I read a lot of the blogs and forums and have gotten some good advice. Just wanted to get a few more opinions before we go. We are 38 and 35 years old going on our honeymoon for 8 days in Bora Bora. Staying at Intercontinental Le Moana in a Horizon Bungalo. I have some questions.

Adapters: I bought two adapters from Radio shack to convert 220/110. How many outlets are typical? Should I bring more adapters? I have a bose soundlink. Will that work without a converter?

Private Beach Dinner/Lunch: Saw some videos of a private beach/private island dinner. Where do you do that and do you have to reserve it in advance?

Market: What is the best market to purchase beer/food? Mainly wine & beer. No hard alcohol. Already gonna purchase a little at LAX duty free, but wanted to get more at a market. Also wanted to get cheese and snacks at a Market too.

Restaurants: We have reservations at La Villa Mahana. We are also gonna go to Bloody Mary's. Lagoon Restaurant by Jean George's was also an option. Someone recommended Lucky House and Blue Coco. Any other restaurant or trendy bar we need to hit?

Beach: Matira Beach is highly recommended. Anywhere else?

Activities: Snorkeling at Coral Garden was recommended. Also possibly gonna feed sharks. Paddle boarding. Do you recommend jet skiing?

Bathrooms: Any other bathrooms in the resort other than the bungalo? Just wondering for convenience.

Resorts: Any other attraction at a specific resort other than Intercontinental that we should hit?

Spa: Planning to get a massage at Thalasso Spa

Mountain: Is the mountain worth spending time on or just viewing from a distance?

Mosquitos: Anyone recommend the best repellent?

Go Pro: Any recommendations on the best accessories or attachments for GoPro? I have the camera and a couple of accessories, but wondering how most people make the great videos they do.

Anything else: We really just wanna relax and read for the most part, but also don't wanna miss out on something outstanding. Can you recommend anything else that is a must do/see?

Thanks for your advice. We leave September 6th. Hope to get some feedback before then.

Matt

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
42,275 posts
674 reviews
200 helpful votes
1. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Don't remember many mosquitos while in Bora Bora. Regarding the Go Pro, put the strap on your head vs carrying it as you swim in the water. Also video is much better than pictures.

California
Level Contributor
10,329 posts
11 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Market--walk out driveway of resort and turn right--market is on left--about a 5 minute walk.

Restaurants-- we liked St. James and the Yacht Club

Mosquitos-- never had a problem and didn't use the repellent we brought.

Before or after your massage, go to the manta ray feeding at Thalasso.

Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
30 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Sounds like you have it all covered. The OWB's are great.

We enjoyed Fare Manuia(Lucky House) a couple of times. Decided against the nicer dinner and ordered pizza to go and ate dinner on our deck and watched to world go by and enjoyed the stars. I would also look at Mai Kai. Free transportation and very good food.

Matira Beach is great but we had just as much fun in the water around our bungalow/resort. Definitely go to Matira Beach for the sunset.

There are restrooms right near the main building of the resort.

We rented bicycles(right next to Lucky House) and biked around the island. Great way to see things you won't otherwise see. Not a ton of work but did require some work.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
75 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

I would suggest a lagoon tour and snorkel. It is beautiful

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
711 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Adapters: I bought two adapters from Radio shack to convert 220/110. How many outlets are typical? Should I bring more adapters? I have a bose soundlink. Will that work without a converter

>> You will be fine with the adapters - most resorts will lend them and of not you can but a US 110 Adapter to a 220 FR plug here for less than 3 USD at many local stores here. - No need for a converter, an adapter is fine with most devices.

Market: What is the best market to purchase beer/food? Mainly wine & beer. No hard alcohol. Already gonna purchase a little at LAX duty free, but wanted to get more at a market. Also wanted to get cheese and snacks at a Market too.

>> There are two store close to the Moana, one is a 15 min walk from the Moana - Make a right onto the main road and you can't miss, they carry everything you would need. If not there, then further down the road is Tiare market and they have a good selection.

Restaurants: We have reservations at La Villa Mahana. We are also gonna go to Bloody Mary's. Lagoon Restaurant by Jean George's was also an option. Someone recommended Lucky House and Blue Coco. Any other restaurant or trendy bar we need to hit?

>> Can't comment on Villa Mahana - I think the lagoon restaurant will be your most memorable. Lucky house is a great spot (good food and best pizza on the island). Blue Coco? Oh yes, you mean the re-branded what we call here "Mcdonald's" (ex "Beach Burger") recently re-branded as an "Italian Restaurant" because burgers were not cutting it - hmmm no comments but free view and BYOB at Matira.

Beach: Matira Beach is highly recommended. Anywhere else?

>> Of course, especially at sunset - BYOB and enjoy the view especially when you will be across the road.

Activities: Snorkeling at Coral Garden was recommended. Also possibly gonna feed sharks. Paddle boarding. Do you recommend jet skiing?

>> Lagoon tour is must IMO and especially with a local company using a more traditional pirogue VS a high speed boat. Jet ski, nice but you can do that anywhere in the world - Focus on close encounter with sharks and rays.

Bathrooms: Any other bathrooms in the resort other than the bungalow? Just wondering for convenience.

>> There are public bathrooms at Matira Beach and the center of town in Vaitape - if you really need to go, people here are pretty welcoming.

Resorts: Any other attraction at a specific resort other than Intercontinental that we should hit?

>> Attractions? Hmm will need to think about this one, visiting Bora Bora can be about experiencing a way of life many dream of but not sure that makes it an attraction?

Spa: Planning to get a massage at Thalasso Spa

>> Sounds like a plan, other resorts have SPAs - Shop and compare.

Mountain: Is the mountain worth spending time on or just viewing from a distance?

>> Most 4x4 tours will take you to high points for a view, only a few will focus on Culture and the "jungle" and only a very small % will hike Pahia - If you are going to Moorea, enjoy the mountain side while there and focus on the lagoon while in Bora Bora.

Mosquitos: Anyone recommend the best repellent?

>> Not so bad right now. You can buy Monoi or Deet repellent while here - Just in case bring your own Deet repellant but that really is not an issue near the water. - Windy season and wind = less mosquitoes.

Go Pro: Any recommendations on the best accessories or attachments for GoPro? I have the camera and a couple of accessories, but wondering how most people make the great videos they do.

>> Be as still as you can and just hold firm, favor VIDEO instead of photos with the gopro - and perhaps what you see was not shot with a GoPro:-) - All kidding aside, it is the most wonderful low cost video camera!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
75 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

We went on the lagoon tour (snorkeling, shark swim and Rays) with Patrick of Maohi Nui and loved it. Hie is a local who grew up in Bora Bora. Highly recommend this.The boat ride alone is worth it

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
7. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

Say hi to Leilani at the front desk from Greg and liz. She is awesome!. You should have enough converters. There are more bathrooms by the pool. There are 2 markets to the right on the main drag to buy booze and snacks...not too bad and tahiti drink is wonderful. Restaurant moi here on matira beach has good lunches (order the vanilla-pepper sauce). We loved Patrick's tour the best. Rent a scooter and tour the island....great times and views. Swim with the sharks! Go pro takes great video. Matira beach sunsets are spectacular. You can paddle to coral gardens if wind is chill. Paddle to barrier reef to watch sunrise and early morning snorkel...spectacular! Take an interest in the culture and language and you will be treated like family.

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
711 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

I like @seattlepaddlesurfer suggestions/comments! Go for it and you will have a wonderful time! Very happy to see the word Culture mentioned!

9. Re: Intercontinental Le Moana next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2017, 14:18