We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

Okay so I think I’mclear but I’ve seen a lot of conflicting info. Please confirm!

We fly LAX to PPT on air TahitiNui, they allow 50 lb checked bag/person and one carry on, normal size for most airlines. In LA we can buy 2bottles of wine per adult at duty free and take those with us on to PPT. Also, If we want bulkhead row we can ask at the gate. (Is it better?.)

From PPT we fly airTahiti. Here we can carry on our duty free wine PLUS one small carry on each (11 lbs or less) and check larger bags. (We are flying PPT to B.B, then later B.B. to Moorea).

Thanks all, this is trickier than most of our trips.

7 replies to this topic
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
1. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

Jennifer, sounds.like you have it nailed down perfectly.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,987 posts
662 reviews
2. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

Air Tahiti will honor the baggage of Air Tahiti Nui.

Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
3. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

I was just reading the Air Tahiti carry-on baggage site. Am I reading it correctly that the liquor thing has changed?

https://www.airtahiti.com/carryon-baggage

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

I can’t undertsand what they are trying to say, website is not very clear!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
648 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

Yes, they have apparently just changed their policy on Air Tahiti. If you buy liquor at Duty Free in L.A. you may bring it onboard ATN (since Duty Free is after the security check), but you need to claim your luggage at Papeete and go through customs before boarding your inter-island flight. That means you'll need to transfer those liquid items to your checked baggage before going through security for your domestic flight.

Alabama
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
6. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

We are spending the night in Papeete before flying on to BB the next morning so packing whatever we buy in LAX won’t be a problem. Just wanted to be sure the information was correct. I’d read several threads that said we could carry on on both ATN and AT. Glad I was reading the website correctly. Thanks for the confirmation.

Moseley, Virginia
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding

For what it is worth. We are in Tahiti now returning home. On our way to the Islands, we purchased two bottles of Rum at LAX. They gave it to us prior to Boarding Air France. We then took the Ferry for our stay on Moorea. We consumed one bottle, left the other bottle in the Duty Free bag, then put it in our checked bag leaving Moorea for Bora Bora. No issues! I saw one person carrying a bottle of Alcohol in an open Duty Free bag on board, without issue. In Moorea and on our return flight from Bora Bora, they weigh bags, but no scans.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 14:11
Reply to: Baggage allowances and dutyfree, pls confirm my undertsnding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted