We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
47 reviews
Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

Just wondering how brides transport their dresses on the internal flight to Bora Bora? What have your experiences been on Air Tahiti? Will they allow flight boxes (standard longhaul hand luggage size on board)?

8 replies to this topic
Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
656 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

In a separate suitcase or carry on most of the time depending on the dress volume. Fold it an vaccum pack it will save you space.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

Thanks for your reply Maeva-Bora Bora! The dress is not huge by wedding dress standards. Would Air Tahiti allow be to carry this on? Or would they ask me to put it in the hold? Also, are they likely to charge extra? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
659 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

The wedding I had attended in Bora, I believe the dress had been sent to the resort in advance (through mail, etc.). That would also allow for easier/less stressful travel...but I would definitely recommend setting that up well in advance if you plan to go that route.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

I would be more stressed sending the dress through the mail than possibly having to check an extra piece of luggage to get it there. That way, it will likely cost less and more likely make it there.

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
656 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

If small enough, I believe you can just hand it to a flight attendant so they can hang it on the plane. I certainly would not ship it as there is always a risk it might get "lost" at customs:-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

I was searching for another topic and came across this in a trip report.

Brides, for your wedding gown carry it with you in a garment bag. We used Wally Bags 66" Gown Length Destination Bag and it carried both my wedding gown and my husband's suit as well as my shoes and accessories. Air Tahiti Nui hung it in their storage inside the plane for us and then Tahiti Air did the same on the way to Bora Bora but stored it in the cargo at the last minute as we boarded to keep it safe on the way back.

Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
7. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

Air Tahiti allowed me to carry mine on. It was in a bag, not a big dress. They even hung it up for me in the bigger closet.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,620 posts
638 reviews
8. Re: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora

You can definitely take the dress if it is your carry on or packed into your luggage.

Reply to: Taking wedding dress to Bora Bora
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted