We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

portland,or
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

I am looking to book a snorkeling tour and I am comparing these 2 companies. Both are highly recommended. Pure snorkeling doesn't go to shark viewing sights- not sure what other differences are between them. I am interested in a private tour. The price for a half day tour is similar for both companies. The full day tour, however, is significantly more expensive for Pure Snorkeling ( $1375 vs $800). I also asked if there was an option to do morning snorkel and motu lunch and then head back to hotel. This option is $1000.

I am wondering why there is such huge price difference. Anyone have any insight? I suppose I will ask the company directly as well. Thank you for any advice you may have!

Mentioned in this post
Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery
Pure Snorkeling by Reef...
2,382 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
11 replies to this topic
Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

The website for Pure Snorkeling tells you what the private full day includes. I couldn't find that on the Lagoon Services website. I'd send an e-mail/message to LS and ask them for specific details as to what is included. Then you can compare. We are doing regular half day snorkeling tours with both companies. PS on 5/27 and LS on 5/30.

Mentioned in this post
2,382 Reviews
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

I recently had to decide between the two companies, and traded emails with both.

Pure Snorkeling tour includes an afternoon photoshoot for that price.

I ultimately booked with Lagoon Services because that's quite a bit of price difference for pictures for us.

We had a trip booked with Raanui a few years ago and it got canceled because of weather.

I had no questions I would have had a great day, but went with LS this time because of how they take payment.

Mentioned in this post
2,382 Reviews
Raanui Tours
Raanui Tours
250 Reviews
portland,or
Level Contributor
252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

Thank you for your replies. I didn't see anything about a photo shoot with Pure Snorkeling- also NOT interested in that... ;) I did email the company directly to ask about the price difference and they said that PS makes more stops than Lagoon Svc., hence the price difference. I also asked if we could do morning snorkel with lunch (and back to hotel afterwards). That is an option for $1000 US.

It didn't make sense to me that making more stops made that much of a difference in the price as the morning private snorkel is the same price for both companies. I was trying to figure out what happens in the later part of the day to make it work an extra $500

Mentioned in this post
2,382 Reviews
Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

With PS on the website it talks about more snorkeling stops after the motu lunch and having appetizers & French champagne.

What #2 is talking about is the Private Dream Day tour.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,492 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

"The full day tour, however, is significantly more expensive for Pure Snorkeling ( $1375 vs $800)."

If the price is that much difference I would go with Lagoon Services.

Mentioned in this post
2,382 Reviews
los angeles
Level Contributor
553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

Interesting discussion. Experts, not considering the price differential, would you all recommend an all day private tour verses an all day group one? Is there any disadvantage to a private all day verses a group, or is it just way more desirable to go with an all day private?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

We have done Pure Snorkeling 5 times. Always as a group but last time I set it up as a small group of 6. They may have as many as 10 in the group but our prior trips always had 8. IMHO a totally private tour is not needed and we enjoyed meeting others. Plenty of room on the boat. The boat is super fast and gets you to snorkeling spots quickly. The guide will hold your hand as need by.

We have only done the half day trip so I can't comment on the full day. Half day is quite tiring with the snorkeling opportunities.

Mentioned in this post
2,382 Reviews
los angeles
Level Contributor
553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

Thank you medic. That was my thought; that the group might actually be more enjoyable than a private tour, and still not be that crowded. We are planning to book a full day.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

We did the half day tour with PS and LOVED it. It was plenty of time to see the Manta Rays. Coral Gardens, Eagle Rays, snorkel stops and just tour the lagoon. We had a small group of six on our boat and loved meeting the new people.

I have to agree with Medic - half day was enough with all we did.

los angeles
Level Contributor
553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour

Jmhallmark, did it include a reef shark dive snorkel as well! Or are the sharks with the rays? Just want to be sure we get to snorkel with the sharks as well.

Reply to: Price difference Lagoon Svc. vs Pure Snorkeling private tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted