We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in bora bora in May?

1 post
Save Topic
Rain in bora bora in May?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going on our honeymoon to bora bora on the 27th of May and I keep seeing thunderstorms in the iPhone weather updates or app for like all day every day! Does anyone know of a better way to find out the weather on bora bora for the dates of my trip or leading up to it? Someone in a different thread recommended webcams from hotels there but the link offered isn’t up anymore. Also would love to hear about anyone who is there now and how the weather is! Thank you for your help!

14 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,880 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

Rain can be for 10 minutes, an hour or longer, it really just depends. We had a forecast for rain daily, but only rained about 10 minutes total.

Southern California
Level Contributor
252 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

Agreed. The forecast showed thundershowers every day - with up to 1/2 to 3/4 inches of rain some days. We had one day that was slightly rainy, and a few scattered showers but otherwise the weather was beautiful. We were there 3 weeks ago. Enjoy!

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

I'm here in Bora Bora at the moment. The weather is crappy right now. We woke up to a huge downpour, then we had 1-2 hours of sunshine and clouds and after that it's been really dark grey skies with rain all the day. And the local forecast for today was sunny. So it seems it is really difficult even for the professionals to forecast the weather here.

Anyhow, if you wish you can take a look at the local weather page at http://www.meteo.pf/index.php but I wouldn't do that myself. You just have to hope for good weather, sometimes you're lucky and sometimes not. We were here 6 years ago at the same time in May and the weather was perfect back then. You never know. :)

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

You can also go on Snapchat and use their snap maps. Lots of times people will do a quick snap of their day and you can see what the weather is.

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
639 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

We had some rain this week but it seems to be improving:-) The weather predictions are usually not vert accurate and the weather does change quickly.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

its possible. its not heavy though. If your at the Le Moana ill see you there.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
446 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

While not at Bora Bora at the moment, we're at Vanhine and can see Bora Bora.

We have had mostly sun for the two days we've been here, it rained yesterday for less than 5 minutes.

So far this morning it's mostly cloudy, but doesnt look like rain clouds.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

We are here right now and it’s been raining all morning so far. I looked like it was going to clear but then the rain started again. Hoping it will clear in the afternoon. It rained for about 15 mins around 11am or so yesterday and was sun and cloud yesterday.

Southern California
Level Contributor
252 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

Isn't Vahine Island wonderful. So relaxing, such crystal clear water - and the food!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
846 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain in bora bora in May?

The weather forecast are never ever accurate.

I would tell you to try not to stress too much about it and let it be. You checking the weather won't change the weather. Go in with expectations that it could rain or it could be great.

We went in May 2016. Other than the weather I was worrying about the Air Tahiti Strike. The forecast were mixed for the week were were there. Even the day of it would say rain. We got about 5-mins of a drizzle of rain in the 7-days we were there. It was perfect weather. Late May is a good time to go usually.

Reply to: Rain in bora bora in May?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted