We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Northumberland
Level Contributor
594 posts
123 reviews
Walking to Caunos ruins ?

I've read somebody's holiday review and the mentioned walking over to the ruins, is this possible.

Obviously you need a ferry across but is this a commonly done thing, or is it something that is organised by a trip company ?.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Hi BlythSpirit66

The walk to Caunos is lovely and many regular visitors to Dalyan go there on foot. You can get the "ferry" across which is actually a small boat rowed by an elderly (and very fit!) woman or one of her family members for a few lira. You "dock" just outside a cafe where another elderly woman will try to persuade you to have a drink or snack - which is actually a nice thing to do as you wait for your boat back - kick your shoes off and relax in their kosk with gozleme and a cold drink. The walk to Caunos is approximately a mile and a half - most of it on a slight incline then a steep stretch to the ruins. The scenery en-route is beautiful as the road takes you through farmland and orchards, and the fragrant smell of flowers is lovely. On the way you might pass a couple of "stalls" (ie a table and maybe a couple of chairs) selling honey, fruit or soft drinks. It's worth stopping for freshly squeezed pomegranate juice in hot weather. Caunos itself stretches over a huge area so if you're planning on walking there and back you need at least half a day and plenty of energy - I wouldn't do it in the hottest months unless setting off early. Alternatively you can hire a car and drive round the lake to get there or book a trip with one of the tour operators in Dalyan but personally I think the walk there is the best way to see Caunos. Enjoy :-)

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Hi BS,

This is a great walk. First you need to get a rowing boat accross the river. These boats are rowed by the ladies, and are found at the end of the boadwalk. I think its about 5TL return. The lady gives you her name so you can call her for your return crossing. The walk ( about 4K ) is very pleasant along a concrete road, past the cliff tombs. Its a flat walk for most of the way, with a small uphill / rise at the end. There is little if any shade, so very hot in mid season. When you get to the ruins there is a small charge to get in. Ice cream and drinks can be purchased at the ruins.

Mx.

Edited: 06 February 2012, 23:48
england
Level Contributor
546 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

You can also bike ride to Caunos ruins. The ladies will put your bikes on the boat and row row row!!!!! We once had 4 people and 4 bikes on our little boat and the lady looked at least a hundred but she got us across the other side with no problem. Then we got nicely persuaded to have drinks and pancakes the moment we stepped off the boat. It was a good half day out and well worth it for the views when you get there. Enjoy!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
661 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

We did the walk before breakfast.

Its cooler, it works up an appetite and the "juice sellers" are at a minimum early in the morning :-) ...

If I remember right, there is an entrance fee into Caunos, think it was maybe 8 Lira (?)

You can also climb to the top of the hill overlooking the river (behind the ampitheatre) if you are feeling energetic, it is worth it for the views of Dalyan and the delta.

Iain

Northumberland
Level Contributor
594 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Was wondering about a possible entrance fee (which of course is not an issue), was just thinking surely such an ancient site couldn't just fee free to wander around.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

After you have paid your entrance fee, you are free to wander around as you like - they do have guide books & leaflets for sale in the ticket kiosk but you can download enough information before your walk- a map is quite nice to give you a clue about what the ruins represent.

The walk to the top fortress is pretty steep but I agree the view is great. If you are energetic you can continue on to Candir the next village (you can find water on the way and another cafe before you enter the village. If you walk through to the local dock area there are more of the classic rock tombs at water level.

Dalyan, Turkey
Level Contributor
153 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Hi BS;

I just walked to Caunos. The entrance fee is 8 liras. You can also get an annual pass for 20 liras which with you can enter all ancient sites, museums etc in Turkey for 1 year.

Volkan

England
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

Would that pass also cover you for places like Ephasus? If so it seems like a good deal as we usually travel around Turkey before ending up in Dalyan. Where are they available from?

Level Contributor
198 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

I thought the pass (Müzekart ) was only available to turkish citizens?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Walking to Caunos ruins ?

They are only available to Turkish citizens, however, non citizens can purchase e-tickets in advance, for some of the main tourist attractions in Turkey. This avoids the need to queue. See

http://www.muze.gov.tr/en

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations