We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sore Eyes

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sore Eyes

Not entirely confined to Dalyan, but in recent holidays I find I am getting extremely painful eyes, not sure if it is sweat 😓 dripping down causing suntan lotion to get in my eyes. Some days I can hardly open my eyes, it always disappears when the sun goes down at night. I like to read in holiday and wear reading sunglasses or normal sunglasses when out and about. Anyone else suffer from this or could recommend something I could try to reduce risk of it happening, looking for ward to 17 days in Dalyan in July , but would like to be pain free, any advice will be greatly received x

21 replies to this topic
devon,uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sore Eyes

I suffer in exactly the same way as this !! Ive put it down to the sun lotion theory, not sure of a way to prevent it to be honest,i feel your pain ! Maybe a pair of false bushy eyebrows is the way to go,im still looking for some at present ! 🤣

England
Level Contributor
960 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sore Eyes

I have found this when using sun lotion on the area around my eyes too. Now, I try to avoid putting the lotion anywhere near the edges of the lids, as it seems that it may be the lotion getting onto the lashes and into the eyes. I know it says to not use near the eyes, but I think you have to give your lids protection too.

Could also be hayfever type allergy? Some anti-allergy eyedrops perhaps?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
673 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sore Eyes

sainsburys do small bottles of drops in several variants....some you can use whilst wearing contact lenses like the moist eyes ones which keep your eyes from drying up.... they also do ones for sore eyes and red eyes. as a hayfever sufferer for many years, for some reason i never ever get it whilst abroad...dont know why and i dont know if thats the same for anyone else but i know that for me, any eye irritation is not usually down to the hayfever... if you end up looking for those drops, theyre usually near the contact lens and optrex type stuff shelves

manchester
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sore Eyes

I have this problem and was diagnosed with dry eye by the optician and now buy drops from him. Over the counter stuff doesn't work as its not greasy enough. Good luck

Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sore Eyes

you could use an eye mousturiser with SPF just around your eyes, it may not sting so much than regular sun tan lotion. Or you could try smearing a thin line of vaseline round the eyes/lashes to see if that helps. I now use just my daily mousturiser with spf on face & around my eyes in the day

I'm a hayfever sufferer at home but don't have a problem abroad.

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sore Eyes

Try Hypra Melrose,it’s safe to use and will keep your eyes moist.It sounds like your eyes are sensitive to sunlight. Also wear a hat with a peak to shade your eyes.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sore Eyes

That's what I get from the opticians but couldn't remember the name. We'll done Turkofile

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
814 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sore Eyes

We always buy eye drops from the chemist near the Turtle on opposite side to Migros. I think it is called Nortel or similar and is really good for giving relief. About tl45 so cheap enough . I also suffered as per the OP and now use Calypso sun cream and do not have any trouble with it . Also it’s made in Britain and is really good value . You can get it on the internet

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sore Eyes

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, I am sure with a combination of things, I.e eye drops, changing sun cream and shading my eyes with a hat I will have a pain free holiday in the sun, might be a wee bit bit of trial and error but I am sure I will get sorted, thank you everyone once again x

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sore Eyes

You could try using a sunscreen specifically for your face. The ones available in the U.K. Are still quite heavy/ oily/creamy but you can buy Korean/Japanese 50spf's which are water based. Biore water essence is good, it has alcohol in it which seems to make it absord into the skin quicker.

Reply to: Sore Eyes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan