We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Hi, we are travelling to Sapa mid September with 2 adults and 3 children. This poses an issue when it comes to booking a cabin on the train. It becomes very expensive. Train is definately the way we want to travel there. We have been suggested the 6 berth hard sleeper cabin. Just would like to know if anyone could tell us how different the 2 types of cabins are. Also how secure a 6 berth is in comparison to the 4 berth.

Thanks

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

I don't know about security, but in six-berth cabins the berths are stacked three high rather than two high and there is very little headroom - not ideal if anyone in your family is claustrophobic.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

No one claustrophobic so that should be ok. We have been quoted $160 one way for 1 four berth cabin so we would have to book one more bed as well. Just looked on the seat61 website and it seems a lot cheaper. Not sure if I'm getting the right prices.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

The cabins aren't very secure, we booked a 4 bed soft sleeper for just the 2 of us. My husband had a chain and pad lock & wrapped it around the handle, if someone forced the door it would at least wake us up. The people on the train in the other cabins chattered in the hallways with us and the next day saw them on the same tour as us. Everyone was friendly.

We booked when we arrived in HCMC with a local travel agency and for 2 nights train, 2 nights hotel in Sapa with tours each day it cost us approx AUD$300 for the 2 of us (not food). We were in a very basic cabin, with pillows, quilt and a water bottle each and a power socket to charge cameras, iPods etc. You could book the 6 berth just for yourselves.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

In the six berth not only is there no headroom, the beds are harder and the toilets tend to get more feral.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Just had a look at seat 61, 420,000 dong each for Vietnamese carriage one way and these were the carriages we were in. (4 berth soft sleeper). There was a toilet and wash basin at each end of the carriage and it was fine. I think the whole carriage were tourists, don't remember seeing any locals. You have probably been quoted for the privately run carriages such as friendly, livitrans, etc. (which are US$40 or $35 each way per person) the train consists of the privately run carriages and the Vietnamese carriages were the last carriages. Have a look at website www.thesinhtourist.vn and click on services, then trains - they have an enquiry for train services, see what they quote or you could Skype them, we found they all speak good English.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Forgot to mention that we were picked up from our hotel and had our bag carried to the train and was walked into our carriage. We left our cases in a locked room at our Hanoi hotel and only took a carry bag each. The vans transporting you to Sapa don't have much room for luggage. After the Sapa trip we went back to hotel, got clean clothes and was picked up to go straight to Halong Bay with carry bag and left case at hotel.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

What age are the children? A hard sleeper 6 berth does not sound at all attractive to me and the price you have been quoted appears way excessive. The beds in the sleeper are not all that long or wide but, depending on the age of your shildren you may be able to top and tail two of them and fit into a 4 berth soft sleeper. We traveled on the Livitrains private, two berth, each way. The suggestion of having your driver pick you up at the hotel and deliver you to the train makes things a lot easier as it is quite confusing in the dark and trying to find the correct train, let alone the right carriage!

Greg

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Hi Greg, kids are 9, 12 & 13. Probably a bit hard to top & tail although we had thought of that. I'll check out the other website suggested on earlier post. It ends up being a very expensive exercise to Sapa at the prices we have been quoted.

Thanks all. I'll keep researching.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

thank you, I have put a request in on that website. I will await a reply.

Thanks again.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 berth cabins vs 4 berth cabins

Who's doing the quoting? If an Australian travel agent there will be a huge markup.