We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kellyville Ridge Nsw
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

All tourists please be aware of a Jewellery store in Juneau Alaska Its called LOVE OF A DIAMOND they are shonky!!!!

My husband bought me a beautiful princess cut diamond, it was far too big so i left it with them to resize, we did some more shopping went back it wasnt ready so we went back to the cruise ship and went back later in the evening...well i thought something was fishy as we waited another 30min or so before the Jeweller came back with the ring it was still too big but we had to get back on the ship.. Then well into our trip i noticed that a diamond had fallen out, when i got home i went to my jeweller said obviously when they tried to resize it the diamond had fallen out and they replaced it with a different type of diamond.

I sent an email to the jeweller with the cost to replace and repair the ring but his reply was i will review, i know i will not get any money back. Also since then another diamond has fallen out!!!!

Edited: 27 November 2009, 10:25
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Well, first I had to look up "shonky" because I'd never heard that word before. In case there are others like me: "(British, Australian, slang) of poor or dubious quality; shoddy."

Second, why would you ever buy expensive jewelry from any store without first checking on its reputation? Rip-offs abound everywhere. Most of the cruiseline jewelry stores sell a lot of overpriced junk.

Lastly, you may have already waited too long, but if you paid by credit card, phone the 1-800 number on the back of your card NOW and ask them if a chargeback can still be done (be willing to send the ring back with online proof of delivery).

If you paid in cash, you're out of luck. All you can do is file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and see if that prods the shop owner into being more helpful.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
14,877 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Welcome to FT.

Caveat emptor. Doesn't matter where or what you buy. Same principle. Sorry that your inexperience got you into problems.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

mkda4,

Any quick search on the Alaska forum with the subject line "jewellery" would have forewarned you of these cruise line hangers on and their shonky practices. While I feel sorry that it may have now soiled the memory of your trip, I have to agree with both the above very well respected posters that you have probably just joined a long list of people ripped off by these merchants, not just the one dealer you had the experience with.

I overheard a conversation between a couple of US women on our cruise last year where one was going on about how lucky she had been to find an identical piece in one of the Alaska outlets to replace the "exclusive" one that she had previously purchased on a Caribbean cruise, but had lost? Stupid woman. Same shops and same goods belted out in China probably.

What REALLY annoys me is how the cruise lines push jewellery shopping, and how those dealers have taken up the prime positions near the cruise docks, forcing many of the local businesses into other areas.

Sorry to hear of your plight, and perhaps the suggestions from M_M might be helpful, but don't hold your breath.

Edited: 27 November 2009, 21:30
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

I, too am sorry about your shoddy merchandise and hope that the you can reach an acceptable solution with the shop owner.......Just wanted to also mention, that in any shop (and in any port) especially when making a major purchase, try to find out if that business is open year round, meaning that the locals shop there, as well........if you were to take a stroll today in downtown Juneau, you would see very few shops open, most of them are just open during the summer cruise ship season, and some pack up lock, stock and barrel to take to southern cruise ship ports.......

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Good point, mombear. I forgot to mention that.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,439 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

I would extend that caution to any jewelery store that is 1. open and

2 not localy owned. as prettymuch all the stores are owned by the cruise lines......... Speaking of which ,why on earth would a person even consider buying expensive jewelery on a cruise to a wilderness.... Would you byu a car at a circus ???... come on think this one through

I recently took a cruise to and was astounded and amused to be told that Alaska was the best place to buy diamonds and jewelery in the world.....

I am suprised no one tried to sell me magic beans.

Silly me I thought alaska was rich in gold and oil...... wildlife and mountains.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
14,877 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

>>Silly me I thought alaska was rich in gold and oil.

Even if someone tried to sell you gold or oil in Alaska, I would STILL exercise extreme caution. Know who you are dealing with and do your due diligence.

Kellyville Ridge Nsw
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Well firstly did you look up shonky in the dictionary!!! I was referring to the Jeweller not the jewellery!!! Look we didnt go on the trip to buy any jewellery the people we travelled with decided to buy some pieces so my husband went along with the ride... I only went on this site to help people in their travels not to receive a lecture!!!!!

Lighten up!!!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

"Well firstly did you look up shonky in the dictionary!!!"

Yes. Did you? The definition I gave comes from this link: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shonky

I googled an Australian site that gives slang definitions, and their entry is "Shonky : dubious, underhanded. E.g. a shonky practice, shonky business etc." www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

You're posting on an American board, so if you want to use Australian slang, don't be so shocked if we're not familiar with it and rely on a DICTIONARY DEFINITION.

BTW, some might also be interested in the definitions found at Urbandictionary: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php…

1. of poor or low quality. (That work he did was so shonky, I can't believe he actually put his name on it. )

2. A compound word from the two terms 'shocking' and 'wonky' meaning that something is so bad or precarious that it is actually shocking. (That is a really shonky piece of construction.)

3. short version of "J'Shonqua" or "D'Shonqua". Commonly found amongst the women of the Bronx. ( "[expletive deleted] shonky, you crazy")

4. falling apart through bad construction or age. Often applied to software. (I can't get my bank statement out of this shonky website!)

5. Carrying some sort of social stigma; like a place people are aware of but don't like to admit their knowledge. (We used to buy our clothes from the shonky shop.)

The 6th definition is racist and if anyone wants to read it, they can look at the link. I'll not "promote" it here.

"I only went on this site to help people in their travels not to receive a lecture!!!!!"

I'm sure other people will learn from your mistake.

Kellyville Ridge Nsw
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewellery Stores * One store in particular* BE AWARE!!!!!

Honestly i dont understand why you have to be so condescending i was told to come on this website as its very helpful for people going overseas, as i said before we had no intention of buying jewellery and iam sure most of the travellers would like to know this information.

Before going on our adventure there was no mention of Jewellery stores to us,the first time was when we embarked on our cruise we certainly had other interests to look forward too.....

I wont be using this website again!!!