We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Island Night, please?

nz
Level Contributor
75 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best Island Night, please?

Hi All,

Have had a read over the past forums (honest, Chuck! ) but all info on this one is at least a year old, so just wondered if anyone has a recent recommendation? We are free to go every night except a Saturday. By best I mean overall - not cheapest, maybe something a little different or just great all round vibe - with or without food, and what makes it great.

Cheers!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Island Night, please?

I don't know if it is still there, but Kathy and I really enjoyed the one at the Staircase Restaurant and Bar in Avarua. It's upstairs above the gym. The one at the Edgewater was also nice, but larger and more elaborate. Great buffett. Good Luck. Chuck...

ps: here is a link for TA reviews of the Staircase

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294330-d1…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
84 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Island Night, please?

The one we did was at the Staircase, which we enjoyed a lot.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Island Night, please?

Just back today after a great nine nights even though weather wasn't the best. We went to Te Vara Nui, Muri, the overwater night show and it was fantastic! Great dinner too, couldn't fault it. Only did the one show so can't compare but choose to do this one as the venue looked lovely, you can go and have a drink in the cafe during the day to Suss it out.

Coromandel
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Island Night, please?

I have been to all except Te Vara Nui and found that The Staircase was best value for money. $35 includes your traditional meal.

Rural
Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Island Night, please?

We went to the Staircase, had booked our table well in advance. The service wasn't that good and we didn't enjoy the meal at all. Show is excellent but we missed out on a good view from all the people that just arrive and pay for the show, they stood in front of our table and blocked the view.

nz
Level Contributor
75 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Island Night, please?

Thanks everyone - much appreciated. Hope the weather is going to improve, sorry it wasn't brilliant sun for you KiwiScots. But sounds like you had a great time all the same.

Salzburg, Austria
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Island Night, please?

Just got back yesterday.

Staircase is Thu and Fri, $5 for show only or $35 with meal. We went to the one at Crown Beach which are on a Thu at 8pm island time (ours only started at 8.30) $15 for the show only or $55 with buffett dinner. We did show only and really enjoyed it. Booked a table the arvo before and got one in the second row.

Crown beach has singers drummers and dancers, and they are one of the top groups in the country, one of their dancers is the female Cook Island champion or something along those lines.

The one at staircase only has dancers, with the music coming from a dvd.

At around 10am you can catch a show for free at the Sat market.

Hokitika
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Island Night, please?

I went to the one at the Edgewater resort, it was $50 for buffet and show. The show was great, beautiful dancing and drumming, absolutely amazing, but the buffet wasn't that great.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
159 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Island Night, please?

I think that Highland Paradise is the best, it is a little different culturally, whereas Te Vare Nui is also great but more showy, the Te Vare Nui village tour is also worth while. Both do pickups and also food. I'm sure you will love whichever you go to. j

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Island Night, please?

We had a great night at Highland Paradise and felt it was pitched just right. Sorry cant compare to any others.